Led Flood light ?

Gungrefjaert

Newly Enlightened
can anyone suggest a good quality led flood light which is not to big ? I guess I'll have alot of L4 votes but is there anything else ? I don't mind if its a bit bigger.

Thanx in advance

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
We can build our 3 Cree xLamp model (in a 3 or 4D mag, or 4C mag) with white xLamps instead of UV ones, and the lenses can be removed (they just pop out) to make an effective flood, if you are interested.

Piers!

Lexus

Enlightened
Innova X5T is a nice low cost 2x123 flood light. It uses five 5mm nichia LEDs, so the beam is a bit blueish. The light is waterproof and can take some beating. Good runtime but not regulated.
I would choose the L4 over the X5T though: More overall light output, can use recheargeables and optional 2-stage tailcap for low light option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Other LED flood lights I found on Flashlightreviews.com:
Aitec: Collimator Light
Dorcy: 3-D Luxeon (adjustable beam)
Streamlight: TL-2 LED or TL-3 LED (adjustable beam)
Vortex: TC-1

Beamshapers can turn throwers into smooth flooders too. You could get a gladius and a beamshaper and have a variable output flood. Or get the U2 if you want more of a "throwing flood".

So many possibilities...

EDIT: Shame on me, how could I forget the L2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

DDS

Enlightened
What is a McCLUX...is it the McClux III PD?

How does the beam differ in the L2 vs L4? Do they both have a donut hole in the beam? Is this inherent in all Lux V's
Thanks! Dave

Gungrefjaert

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for something producing a nice and very bright flood. I could end up with a Surefire, since they can be bought here in Europe. That way I don't have to worry about customs and high shipping costs.
Thanks for your inputs.

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Peak McKinley to do just this- seven of their Snow white leds do a pretty good job with about an hour and a half of run on a single CR123. Here's a Review

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think it depends on what is too big and runtime and battery types you are interested in. I recently got a 32 LED light using 3AAAs and it is bright for about 30 minutes off nimh drawing around 1 amp.

PeterW

Enlightened
mmmmmmmmm, my favourite kind of light. I have a McLux with bead blasted PR reflector and a 5W in from McGizmo, pefectly brilliant and even flood, with no central hole. I believe he has stopped making lights though.

I took a Lamina Ceramics BL2000 LED emitter stuck it to a heatsink and drove it with a small current driver (TaskLED Fatman driver, with 6AA would have been a much better option), with dimming. I house the batteries in my pocket and the LED on my head, this thing puts out serious light in all directions, a REAL flood.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=674611

I have a Lednium emitter sample that ought to do the same again, but I have yet to get the driver circuit quite yet.
Wouldn't mind playing with a Cree or Ostar either if anyone has any going spare....

Build your own, it's not hard and you'll get a really useful headlight. (cramming things into little tubes isn't my cup of tea!)

Cheers

PEterW

buba

Newly Enlightened
A $45 Nuwai TM-301X-3 Review . Add a Surefire F04 beamshaper and you get lots of defused flood. The 5W TM-301X-5 may be as well, keep an eye on the review thread for this one.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search the LED forum for +LED +flood in the title. Include the + before each term to ensure that both words appear in the title. There have been several recent threads.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChopperCFI said:
Take a look at the review of Nuwai 2x123A Luxeon V (TM-301X-5) . Looks like an L4 beam for half the price.

I agree 100%!!! I have this light for 1 week already & love it. I've been waiting for an affordable alternative to the SF L4 & this is it! Compare the beam shots. 12 rings on both! A massive flood of light in a very compact package! It is now my official on-duty back-up light!