My Top Tips

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Spray some WD40 onto paper kitchen towel, wipe this around the thread on both torch and battery end cap / switch, and then wipe off.
Stops that horrible metal on metal tightness on torches, especially the HK cheapies, and makes it much easier to change batteries.

2) Print out some small labels, or cut up larger ones, with your name and mobile (Cell) number on it, as you're more likely to lose it away from home, or even home phone too, and wrap it around battery / holder, 50% will return it, 25% will call you to gloat, for 1p (1c) it's worth it..

3) 3 x AAA batteries, tape them together or put into small plastic sealed bag for spares.

4) There must be more.......

cslinger

Enlightened
If somebody is worth shooting they are worth shooting twice......Oh wrong forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's as simple as have a light, any light at all times.
One of my personal rules to live by is the following.
Every human being should be prepared and have the following on or very near them at all times.
1)A way to make light.
2)A way to make fire.
3)A good blade.
4)Basic tools (Screwdriver,Swiss Army Knife, Leatherman etc.)

Those four things are very easy to carry no matter your dress and go a long way to addressing just about any situation you might find yourself in as long as you use a little ingenuity.

Chris

Perfectionist

Enlightened
I always carry my Leatherman Charge and HDS Ultimate wherever/whenever 247 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So agreed on your points 1, 3 and 4 ..... but why would I need a way to make fire in an urban environment ??

I think the only time "fire" would be needed in an emergency would be after a major world changing event like Nuclear Holocaust or Meteor Strike !!!! (in which case a way of actually putting out fire would be more appropriate !!)

Wait, I smoke so always have a Zippo lighter with me anyway .... guess I'm prepared for anything now, even WW3 !!

(I knew my cigarette habit was a good thing despite everyone telling me otherwise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

C4LED

Enlightened
The P-38 (small can opener) can be useful on the key chain for those who don't want to carry a pocket knife. The P-38 also has the following uses - "all-purpose toothpick, fingernail cleaner, screwdriver, bottle opener, box cutter, letter opener, chisel, scraper, stirrer, etc."

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_rations_p38.php

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
IMHO A way to make fire in an urban enviroment is most important in this day and age. A Zippo is good. A .45 is better!

nethiker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
abvidledUK said:

2) Print out some small labels, or cut up larger ones, with your name and mobile (Cell) number on it, as you're more likely to lose it away from home, or even home phone too, and wrap it around battery / holder, 50% will return it, 25% will call you to gloat, for 1p (1c) it's worth it..

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great Tip! Too simple for me to figure out on my own. It's well worth the hope it provides should I lose that prized light.

My tip is to slip an o-ring over the clip end of a small light. Helps to hold the light, especially in the mouth, and provides a way to secure the clip on a belt so you don't need to hope someone returns your light.

Thanks for the tips abvidledUK, and welcome to CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Perfectionist

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Outrider said:
IMHO A way to make fire in an urban enviroment is most important in this day and age. A Zippo is good. A .45 is better!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. name one reason why Joe Average would need fire in your average city on an average day ???

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of this comes from prepping for campouts.

1) Check your light BEFORE you go out (because that blown out bulb you were going to replace when you got home is -still- that blown out bulb you were going to replace when you got home) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2) A piece of high rag-content paper (resume paper) wrapped around the cells in a "C" or "D" style Maglight tends to prevent the cells from leaking. I have no idea why but I can testify that it does work.

3) Rain - X is the best stuff ever invented for getting your lenses amazingly clean. Clean the lens, put some rain-x on it, buff it with a soft cloth and you'll be amazed at how good it looks.

4) 100% Silicone spray lube (sprayed on a cloth and then rubbed on threads) is even better than WD40 for preventing thread-lock and won't eat O-rings.

5) Write a reminder on your wall calender (or in my case put it in your iPAQ) to change the batteries in your car flashlights at appropriate intervals. (Not so important to me now that everything in the cars have lithium batts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

6) Practice changing batteries (and if necessary the bulb) in the dark. If you can't do it pretty quickly then you need a different "emergency" flashlight.

7) Glow-in-the-dark (GID) Zipper Pulls snapped around a lanyard work great for finding your light in the dark (attached to a long enough lanyard you can actually charge them with the light itself)...and they don't make any permenant changes in case you want to sell/trade the light later.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris-

Agree with your list 100%. I am usually so equipped.

However, don't go near an airport in this country with this list of basic safety and convienence tools.

Items 2, 3 and 4 are out completely. A flashlight is ok if it isn't so big the TSA thinks it is a WMD.

Kind of silly isn't it. If a majority of people carried these simple, common, really non-threatening things, than no individual could really be any kind of threat by having them.

Mark

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Perfectionist said:
[ QUOTE ]
Outrider said:

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. name one reason why Joe Average would need fire in your average city on an average day ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Wichita, KS 2005. Ice storm takes half of the city off the power grid. No heat. Your furnace won't light if the fan doesn't run.
That's one! need more?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
5) Specifically for torches in this forum, but applicable to any piece of equipment.
In a work environment, or even at home, to stop others borrowing/stealing your torch, attach a sticky label or tag, with the following word......FAULTY....(or U/S)
Worked for me in keeping my own well looked after pieces of kit in my open locker !!
(of course it's not really faulty)

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is one I use on multi-cell lights. I take 2, or 3 cells, and tape them together. Then when I need to change I just drop the stick in. This doesn't work with all lights as some have such a close fit. I also use only one filter holder that accepts different colors of lenses. Saves room in my "kit" box

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always have a backup. Lights included. I don't care if it's a LED, back it up.

I myself carry a E1e+KL1 and a U2, and usually a small keychain LED. So that makes three, but even without the keychain, both Surefires back each other up.

I don't go anywhere without a Leatherman either, except on board a plane where it's not an option. Of course, once relieved of your multitool, they will ensure the food packaging practically screams for your clip point knife and pliers in order for it to be opened.

Where I come from we believe carrying a camera in your car prevents car accidents. If it doesn't, at least you have proof to show it was the other driver's fault (this is contingent upon the fact that YOU make an effort to drive safely and therefore the accident was not caused by you). Strange or otherwise this appears to work.