I did something stupid!!!!!!

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I got a email from a friend with a link to a video feed. I clicked on it and my Windows Media Player started then I got a box saying it needed a code to play the clip. It asked if I wanted to download it and I said yes. I got 4 viruses and I don't know how much spyware. It changed my Internet Explorer security settings and my wallpaper on my desktop. Plus added all sorts of links all over the place. What saved me was I have Mcafee virus scan and firewall. I couldn't keep up with the firewall asking "this program wants to excess the Internet is it OK". I also have 3 spyware programs and all of them found over 500 spyware on my computer. Keep in mind I scan my computer almost daily so all this was put on with that one click. Now I wonder if all of it is gone because every spyware program finds things the other ones didn't. What else can I do?

sbebenelli

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Beamhead said:
Filter out that "friend". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you running Spyware Blaster? That one is designed to keep the spyware out to begin with rather than scanning for it once it gets inside. There is a free version.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I almost bet youf *friend* got infected and that was sent without his knowledge to you. He probably got infected by someone that sent the same link to you he didn't know and was even MORE stupid to trust them.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
I almost bet youf *friend* got infected and that was sent without his knowledge to you. He probably got infected by someone that sent the same link to you he didn't know and was even MORE stupid to trust them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah he didn't know it either.

I've used Spybot, Adware and Spyware doctor. I also have Microsoft's beta Spyware.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
Are you running Spyware Blaster? That one is designed to keep the spyware out to begin with rather than scanning for it once it gets inside. There is a free version.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have stopped using IE. I haven't gotten any spyware at all on this computer in over a year. If only there was an alternative to WMP, as now that isn't secure. Every play a video and your browswer opens! *(@&#$ Seems they stopped doing that now wiht the newest edition...

LaserFreak

Enlightened
A mac?! I for one wouldn't own a mac if someone gave it to me for free...but back OT

I would stay away from Spybot...according to our IT people that program puts it's own spyware onto your system, and allows spyware from it's "contributing" affiliates/companies. I for one have used Adaware religiously, and it always seems to be the one program that finds the most spyware.....

mckevin

Enlightened
Find a friend (or someone) who is capable of effectively using "Hijack This".
It is a fairly manual approach, and if you mess up you can mess up big, but I haven't found any (combination) of the automatic scanners that can match it for certifying a system clean...

Empath

Flashaholic
Sbebenelli, I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but the most important thing for you to do is shut off your internet connection completely, until your problem is completely resolved.

Once you became infected, the reason you end up with so many unique spyware infections is due to some infections downloading more infections. Its likely that in addition to simply being infected with hundreds of spyware installations, you've also got trojans and viruses sending out spam, and personal information. Shut down your internet connection, and make access with a different computer, use the libraries computers, or something; anything other than your infected machine. Don't rely on any particular spyware removal tool, since none catches everything.

Visit the forum at http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ . The guys there are expert and trained volunteers in dealing with your problem. In fact, if you want to see how someone else, the founder of those forums, dealt with the same type of situation, read I Love The Smell Of Spyware Burning In The Morning.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good advice you have recieved, I would only add to download and install the Spyad database,

HTH
AlexGT

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
you need a patch for wmp.
that will fix the hole your spyware was installed thru.your friend may have a properly patched box and didnt know the hazard existed at that link.