U2 rechargable question

Thermalarc

Newly Enlightened
It's known that the U2 will fall out of level 6 using a Plia 168a after some time. Is there a way around this? Will using an unprotected li-ion cell with a higher voltage solve the problem? Will the U2's regulator replace the over-discharge issue when doing so? If so does such a battery exist and can anyone point me to a source? Gracias.

G

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello G,

I believe the amount of time the U2 will run on level 6 with rechargeable cells depends on the characteristics of the LED in your particular light. Some work fine, others not so well.

Here is a comparison of the various battery combinations that can be used in the U2.

Tom

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
I think it also makes a difference depending on the battery you're using. The higher capacity LG cells seem to maintain voltage under load very very well. I can't say for certain my U2 is in regulation on level 6 but level 6 remains a lot brighter then level 5 until the battery is 90% discharged.

Thermalarc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. TheSteve: where can I lay my paws on a battery like yours? *edit* Never mind Sir, I figured it out.

SilverFox: Once again I see you're *the* man when it comes to this battery stuff.

There is such a wealth of info on CPF it's hard to keep up with it and with new data being added daily I'll never be able to stay informed. I depend on you guys for this and I apologize if it's all been hashed over before.

G

Kilted

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Thermalarc said:
It's known that the U2 will fall out of level 6 using a Plia 168a after some time. Is there a way around this? Will using an unprotected li-ion cell with a higher voltage solve the problem? Will the U2's regulator replace the over-discharge issue when doing so? If so does such a battery exist and can anyone point me to a source? Gracias.

G

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really not sure what you are referring to, I do not have Pila 168A's. On my U2 when level six goes away it is time to recharge the cell. I get about 90 mins on bare 18650's, when level six goes away I know I have about 15-30 minutes left to lights out.

I got my 18650's from IBM Thinkpad battery packs from laptops being idle & excessed. I got about 20 of them seems like they range from 2000-2200mah. I have a Maha C777plus-II charger.

I popped the tail cap and put an amp meter from the cell to tube and measured 1170ma.

=D~~ Kilted

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even using two CR123 lithium cells, a U2 might not run in full regulation on level 6 for very long - some posted graphs show this well. In light of that, I don't think using a good Li-ion gives up too much to regular lithiums. Here is a runtime graph of my U2 on a 2400 mAh 18650. It runs at greater than 80% full brightness for 90 minutes - well over the level 5 output.

It does seem to depend somewhat on the Vf of the LuxV in the U2.
U2_18650.jpg