Yellow versus Rose Shooting Glasses

JOshooter

Enlightened
A coach of a local high school asked me whether yellow or rose shooting glasses were better. I've only tried the yellow - they work for me, but haven't tried the rose. Has anyone here used both? What do you prefer? What are the pros/cons of the colors?

The shooting they do is all indoors at 10 meters (33 feet) under different light, some ranges have flourescent, others use incandescent bulbs, what color would be most usefull? What about paying extra for changeable lenses?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Colored lenes make me sick and dizzy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Anything that irritates me will keep me from focusing.. sorry to be of no help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rose is good under flat light like fog or cloudy conditions. I like them for skiing when there is no sun. I find that my eyes adapt quickly and that the world doesn't look rosy for long.
---------------
ET

Last edited:

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Never used rose colored shooting glasses before. I have used yellow and green back in the day when I used to shoot muzzleloaders in competition. I always prefered the yellow ones myself. That is if I wore them. I used my naked eyes more than I did anything. I think we used the green when the sun was very low in the sky. Of course you dont have to worry about the sun if you are shooting inside. Everyones eyes are different and react differently to light conditions and colors.
I would recomend that he try the different colors at the range to see which one suits him best. If someone you shoot with has green, rose, yellow, etc... he may just ask them if he can try them before he buys them.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a pair of yellow or amber glasses. They make stuff brighter and B&W like. They are good for me in low light situations. I never wore them when in the rifle range. I just use the scope and just eyeballing it to his the target.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I've never tried shooting glasses. I've shot cans and targets. I even shot that d**n squirrel that was eating the insulation on my house. I just haven't tried shooting glasses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Newly Enlightened
Shooting highpower across the course in competition (200,300, & 600yds) I use amber for dark days, appears to give more contrast and definition. I have a pair of B&L Shooters glasses(no longer made) in dark grey green for bright days. They both work well for me, without sunglasses the light is too bright for me and at longer ranges the white target flares. Some sort of eye protection is pretty much a must as being about three feet next to someone with a semi-automatic is throwing hot brass your way. I v'e had one bounce off my cheek, and when I shot an M1A1 I had a case land in my open action from they guy next to my with a M1 Garand.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an indoor range, I don't think there will be much of a benefit from either. I think clear would be my first choice for an indoor range with incandescent or fluorescent lighting. Yellow and rose would also be fine. They might provide a bit more eye comfort, but also a noticeable color shift which might annoy some users until they get adjusted to it.

In outdoor conditions, the yellow and rose will both increase definition and visual comfort by reducing the blue part of the spectrum. Both colors will do this about equally well. Yellow will allow a bit more visual light than rose, and therefore is a good choice for the lowest light levels. Rose would be better for meduim brightness outdoors.

So basically, I would recommend clear for your friend's purposes, or yellow as another good choice which will work well for his purposes and also add versatility for outdoor use.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
IMHO, I go with the rose glasses. The color rendering is more important than the brightness for me. The brighter yellow makes me squint and breakes my focus. Like others have mentioned, you really need to try on the colors and styles, both cheap and expensive, to see what works best. For shooting glasses I would also look into how well they can protect your eyes against impact in the event of an accident. An optical injury can be life changing in a very bad way, safety first.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Technically the rose shooting glasses are called Vermillion. They are used mainly when shooting Sporting Clays. The Vermillion glasses make the orange clay pidgons stand out against the green background.

Yellow shooting glasses brighten targets in poor light.

A good flashlight can also help brighten a target in poor light.:<)

JOshooter

Enlightened
Tombeis said:
A good flashlight can also help brighten a target in poor light.:<)

That almost happened to me. We were in a season opening match, first relay was done shooting, second relay was in their prep period when the lights went out. I shot first relay and didn't get the chance to use my flashlight... :(

I was hoping for more of a consensus, but its always different for every shooter...Thanks

Tombeis

Enlightened
JO Shooter:

Interchangable lenses: The best are Randolph Ranger Shooting System.
Twelve colors including clear to choose from. There website explains the advantages of each color. I have a pair of the XL which has an adjustable bridge so you can use them for different sports. www.randolphusa.com

As far as which would be the best lens for indoor use. The clear, pale yellow,or yellow would be my choice. Yellow tends to brighten in poor light. I use a prescription clear lens which works well for the well lighted range where I shoot pistol.

Randolph Ranger lens description:

http://www.randolphusa.com/companyd.asp?ID=59

Rangers are not inexpensive but there polycarbanate lenses do an excellent job of protecting your eyes.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurker said:
For an indoor range, I don't think there will be much of a benefit from either. I think clear would be my first choice for an indoor range with incandescent or fluorescent lighting. Yellow and rose would also be fine. They might provide a bit more eye comfort, but also a noticeable color shift which might annoy some users until they get adjusted to it.

In outdoor conditions, the yellow and rose will both increase definition and visual comfort by reducing the blue part of the spectrum. Both colors will do this about equally well. Yellow will allow a bit more visual light than rose, and therefore is a good choice for the lowest light levels. Rose would be better for meduim brightness outdoors.

So basically, I would recommend clear for your friend's purposes, or yellow as another good choice which will work well for his purposes and also add versatility for outdoor use.

What he said!

DarkLight

Enlightened
With rose colored glasses all your score cards look juuuuust fine though..heh...

block the blue however you want..