One month buying spree: 5 lights!

TorchMan

Enlightened
One month ago I was ordering my Inova T4, after initialy seeing an ad for the SureFire U2, a light that was about $250 bucks, a price I would never pay for a flashlight. In a quest for reviews on it, I stumbled across many good flashlight sights, including one called CPF...

Here's all this info, and user reviews, right in one place. Other people who love flashlights and are way, way ahead of me. And more lights than I ever dreamed.

The one that next appealed to me was the HDS EDC. Small, and versatile, it was well worth it after the initial sticker shock. All the raving here almost made it seem as if I'd already seen this light in person. I had proof in my hand that what I was reading was valuable knowledge. Besides, who needs a SureFire U2 when this does so much?

Next up was the Gladius. Very versatile, so cutting edge and just plain looks cool. Best ergonomics. Most impressive. Who needs a SureFire U2 when this is in your collection?

The Pelican M6 Lithium is getting great reviews here, and doesn't cost like the above lights either. I've no incans in that size and class, why not get one? Out throws all the above lights, and has good contrast with foliage. And the holster that came with it even has a spare battery compartment? Who needs a SureFire U2 with all these in your collection?

So yesterday my SureFire U2 arrives. Wow!. My first SureFire. Real simple to use. Probably my brightest LED and surprisingly good throw for the type of beam. Useful for close to medium range, I really appreciate the wider hotspot, even though I'm a throw junkie.

I guess there's a pattern here. I have a thing for adjustable-level Luxeon lights. There's no denying some overlap. But I'm more aware now, and the U2 fills the void I had for a Lux V and a wider beam. Plus, I had no SureFire. You see, I needed it after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The second month (Has it really only been a month?) may be a wallet-resting spree, instead of more buying. But I already have ones on a wish list, and it includes, surprise, surprise, adjustable level Luxeon LED lights. Yeah, I have more flashlights, and better ones, than I'll ever need. But I have a feeling that like most here, I've not bought the last light.

I'm not sorry!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
TorchMan,
I was in a similar situation well over Two years ago,
buying custom lights, Lasers, Luxeons, uv lights ect.
On average close to 100 lights in total maybe more.
The last lights I bought were a few Palight survival lights. I have slowed down now as I need the cash

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sold.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey torchman, welcome to CPF, and why dontcha stay awhile!

There was a time a couple years ago when I was getting a light like every week. Ah, the good ol' days. Now, the toy budget is on a real tight leash, unfortunately. (I'm not sure I can afford a Fenix!)

But you have started on a great crusade, with some awesome lights. Many people graduate to the U2, after a 6P, and an L2, and an E2e, but you went for the gusto, and I can see you have no regrets!

And I just had the Gladius in one of the passarounds, it's a workhorse LED, wow! Really easy to use and quite bright, except I had trouble with the tailcap.

Congratulations, and say goodbye to yer wallet!
daloosh

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yeah, who needs a $250 SureFire U2!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I couldn't stand it anymore, all this talk about the SureFire L1s & U2s...too many E2e/KL1 combos around here - how did I get sooo many?!

Sooooo, I'm on a quest to "recycle" some flashlights into funds so I can buy the ones that have been teasing me for too long (L1 & U2)! If they don't fit my needs, then they'll end up being "recycled" as well. I really needed some motivation to "thin the herd" though!

Haven't gotten around to "thinning the E2e herd" just yet, but it's going to happen!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
TorchMan, you have my sympathies, (Sort of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ) Wait until the HID bug bites you! In a couple months, it was a SF Beast, Maxabeam, and X990. Then come the Hot Wire mod lights, like the 100W, fire-starter for 9 minutes USL and the Polaris. Modding? Next, you'll find yourself buying a lathe and milling machine, (don't forget tooling!) and making your own. Obsession can be fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha newbie! You have to learn to pace yourself or you'll run out of money just before that ultimate light comes out.

TorchMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TORCH_BOY said:
TorchMan,

On average close to 100 lights in total maybe more.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

TorchMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
daloosh said:
There was a time a couple years ago when I was getting a light like every week. Ah, the good ol' days. Now, the toy budget is on a real tight leash, unfortunately. (I'm not sure I can afford a Fenix!)

And I just had the Gladius in one of the passarounds, it's a workhorse LED, wow! Really easy to use and quite bright, except I had trouble with the tailcap.

Congratulations, and say goodbye to yer wallet!
daloosh

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the wallet is on a low cash diet and losing weight. I've seen the Fenix mentioned but don't know anything about it. Maybe it's best I don't... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I too experienced trouble with the Gladius tailcap. I found another set of instructions for changing the batteries on my warranty card! I never thought to look there. These are the best instructions yet, complete with excellent step by step photos. The fact that those not in the know can break the light trying to screw on the tailcap is an Achilles heel. Hopefully I'm past that issue, and they are certainly addressing it (as in more and better instructinos), they even wrote back to me. Minor gripe would be not being able to return to full brightness with two clicks from Mode II and Mode III. All that being said, it's my current favorite 2 Lith 123 cell light.

TorchMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
Wait until the HID bug bites you! In a couple months, it was a SF Beast, Maxabeam, and X990. Then come the Hot Wire mod lights, like the 100W, fire-starter for 9 minutes USL and the Polaris. Modding? Next, you'll find yourself buying a lathe and milling machine, (don't forget tooling!) and making your own. Obsession can be fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I meant by way, way ahead of me. 100 watt 9 minute firestarters? Can you say rechargeables?

I've been drooling over HID searchlights for a while. Recently I saw a few HID flashlights, I think one was WolfEyes. $500 for a flashlight? Who needs a $500 flashlight when you have all these in your collection...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Machining and all would be an epiphany for me, I've never done anything like that. I think the current limit would be drop-in mods. And from doing that with firearms, I know one mod can lead to more, indeed it can even require them.

Yes, it has been fun!

TorchMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Ha newbie! You have to learn to pace yourself or you'll run out of money just before that ultimate light comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's what the credit card is for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And would that be Ultimate, as in HDS EDC Ultimate 100, or Ultimate 130? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
It's more like pace yourself so it's not a debt, increasing those "bargains" with interest. I'd rather buy more batteries with the interest money.

Pacing is good advice for this Newbie though. Thanks to you all!

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least i have an excuse that i tell my wife "I need these for patrol" How many is anyones guess, though!