42 led flashlight (yes 42!)

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
http://search.ebay.com/42-led-flashlight_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
I just won a bid on one of these a few minutes ago. It won't be here for about 2 more weeks but when it does I'll post a quick review. I don't have a web site so I won't be able to post any pictures. I might actually buy some extra AAA's so I can do some kind of primitive battery life test. It uses 6 AAA's (
versus 3 for the 28,29,and 32 led lights). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
seems pretty nice, I like the body on it.

I have been running my couple 3AA lights on pila 150s,
you think that one can hold 2 150s ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

though that would be over driving it a good bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
They don't say if it uses a carrier or not. My guesss is that it does though - Either two of the carriers that the 3 AAA lights use (god I hope not) or (most likely) the 6AAA carrier that Nuwai's 1 watt/6AAA light uses.
( http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_1watt.htm - picture of carrier towards bottom of the page). I'm not too familier with Pila's batteries but if they fits in the 3AAA version I bet they'll fit in this one. Now if only someone would design some 40+ led lights that don't use AAA's. Can you picture a 42 led light (that doesn't cost a fortune!)running off of 2/3 CR123A's or 3/4 C or D cells ?

TorchMan

Enlightened
This will be very interesting, I'm almost as anxious to read you comments as you are to receive the light. Mmm, maybe not that anxious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have a few 8 LED lights that use three AAA and a carrier, they are fairly bright for the size. I've seen some 19 and 21 LED similar type lights. I don't remember any that were 28,29 or 42, so that makes me curious.

As to them running on Lith 123s or something, yeah, I'd be for that. I have a 30 LED Guide Gear (metal body) flashlight that is 3D cell powered,. Useful, bright and at least some throw. Works better as an area light bouncing it off the ceiling than my 30 LED GuideGear lantern does. Looking forward to your review, thanks.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
It uses 2 of the 3 X AAA carriers back to back. The switch on the rear is a reverse clickie.
There is also a slightly different 41 led-4 X AAA flashlight available from a different vendor
41 led-4 X AAA

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm..... well if it doesn't perform well you could turn it into a high-flow shower head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well now, we could call that one "The Answer"
(for those of you who aren't sci-fi geeks, In the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything was...42)

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I am missing something here. THe multiple led lights I own arent really that brigher, that a larger flood light and drains the larger batteries quicker. I have a 3 led trek light, 19 led trek light and a 5 led light, then a 1,3,5 watt luxeon. The multi led lights have a long run time, even usable light when going dead, but they arent that bright unless in total darkness. The 19 led light is notically dim after 10 hours where as the 3 led one went 2 weeks before I saw it was going dim. THe 5 watt cabelas xpg is a great square flood light. The 1 watt dorcy and 3 watt bog one are excellent otherwise.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a 32 LED light and one thing you don't realize is unless you are grossly underdriving it by using sagging alkalines the thing devours batteries. I measured in excess of 1 amp on nimh which relates to about 40 mins (mine are 550-650mah. I wish they would design a 3AA or 4AA 29+ LED light so you could get 3 times the runtime or more out of it.

As for spending $42 on nichias for a $10 light, and spending a whole day changing them out hoping you don't get one backwards... ummm.. thats a flashaholic for ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
But just think how bright I'd be then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif 42 x 7 lumens(drive level of the new arc's gets ~ 7lumens.) = 294 flood light!

Someone needs to sell the blank boards so we don't have to de-solder all the leds first... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The problem is for the price of the blank boards you could buy a complete light and keep the 42 LEDs. I don't think I would mess with desoldering 42 LEDs to replace them with nichias.

I think off of AAAs there gets to be diminishing returns after awhile of adding extra LEDs over about 25-30. Better LEDs in a 29 LED light would blow away a 42 LED light.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a 28 led flashlight, swapped out the original leds for the best 26K's out of a 100 piece bag, installed a Downboy 1000 and powered it with a pair of CR123's. 35.7ma per led. It rocks. Now I just have to switch the 26K's out for 35K's this weekend.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Looks like my shower head.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Lumenhound, neat idea. That would work with a 2D light with 2 3AA-D adapters and a 32 LED head. Would give you a pretty good blaster with a fairly long runtime. I would probably wire the two adapters in parallel so not to overdischarge the batteries.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my case I was lucky. The 2 CR123's just fit and that was only due to the fact that the inside of the tail cap had been milled out beyond the diameter of a CR123 at the factory. The whole thing is less than 5 and a 1/4 inches long. If I had to do it over again I would use the 41 led model as a host.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch on mine is just a single ON/OFF and is located on the battery tube just behind where the bezel begins to flare out. I'm guessing your 29 is the dual mode model? I chose mine from the other versions only because I could easily gain access to the led circuit board. I didn't want to deal with trying to remove a metal plate that was glued to the front of a bezel like the 42 led model. Those 29's and 32's hadn't hit the market yet when I purchased the 28.