Rural vs Urban - How my life would change...

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little bio about myself, I live on 40 acres which is 2/3rds wooded with a few trails that cut through. The nearest town is 8 miles away and it is a small town with the biggest building we have is a small K-Mart and WallyWorld. The point I am trying to drive across is the fact there is virtually know ambient light near the property. There is a street light that is at an intersection perhaps 400yds down the road. With the exception of the astronomical (Moon & Stars) bodies radiating light it is pretty dark sometimes (new moon) pitch black outside. Most of the lights I have are throwers because I have 4 large dogs I run on property and I need to keep them all in check when I run them. With the exception of my SL Junior Lux I really don't have a true EDC. Boy I am thinking how my life would change if I moved in town or a large city like Seattle. I wouldn't need the throwers I own cause I would no doubt have to walk the dogs on leads whereas now I don't. I would probably focus on EDC's incase there was a power failure in a subway or high rise whereas now I find I don't need.

Boy, my life would certainly turn around if I ever had to move in an urban environment but for now I will enjoy living in the country /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
That must be great being out there in the "true" dark. I'm in a fairly typical suburban area, and the amount of light pollution is rapidly growing. To me one of the best aspects of a power failure is that the street light near the house is out.

Geoff

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost sounds like you are talking about Chehalis, or more like Adna. . .

Scott

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Among several things you would miss: you might have to give up a dog or two. Lots of urban and suburban areas have rules on the maximum number of dog/cat type pets you can have. Cities have better entertainments, although that may become less of a differentiator with wideband and Netflix becoming more common.

Someone who needs health services, e.g. emergency response, to be close at hand (maybe most of us someday) might consider living a little closer in rather than further out. Everything else, restaurants, schools, shopping, etc. depends on your taste and individual situation. Just my 2 cents.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around here it seems the dream of every young urbanite (and this small city isn't really urban) is 5 acres and a doublewide, while the dream of every ruralite is a 24hour WalMart and a Starbucks (Which we just got our first one a couple of months ago).

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick with the rural, fresher air, frendly people,
you wave a lot more oportunities to test lights in the dark,
no smog, no angry motorists, no yuppies. I lived on a farm myself 22 Acres, hadmy own horse, dogs, goats ect. I moved to the big city so I could find a better job, got the job but miss the space, the freedom, the only thing I like about the city is every thing is handy including flashlight parts