REI Sale - Gerber lights & knives

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
They hooked me up last year! Those are some pretty good prices. My REI never even stocked most of them.
--------------------
E.T.

txmatt

Enlightened
Yep, went to REI last night... lots of good deals. I had been wanting to buy a Gerber pack axe/hatchet and couldn't pass up the Gerber LX 3.0 on sale. It's a nice light. Lots of spill and my favorite part is that it uses AA's. It's not regulated but I may give up some brightnes and run it on NiMH for a flatter discharge curve.

At the sale price, it's an interesting comparison to the Streamlight Propoly Lux. SLPPL has a brighter, tighter spot but not as bright of spill, has more blue tint (HID-like), and is regulated. The LX 3.0 is more of a creamy white, has a larger hot-spot and brighter spill, and the matte metal finish is very classy. Both very nice AA lights in the $30-$35 range.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I gave in a bought myself a gerber trio. it looks pretty bright, should be a good walking light I think.

Zigzago

Enlightened
The page for the Gerber Trio on REI says,

"Brighter LED light shines a true white light that is nearly twice as bright as its predecessor,"

Have there been two generations of the Trio? Are they using better LEDs now?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I'm not sure about previous versions.(if any?)
Looking at the review at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gerber_trio.htm
it has more overal output than inova x5t, and the uk 4AA eLed, and its twice as bright as the pt attitude which also has 3 Leds.

Comparing the throw and overall output , it seams like a flood light, which is nice for seeing things at close range.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
txmatt said:
Yep, went to REI last night... lots of good deals. I had been wanting to buy a Gerber pack axe/hatchet and couldn't pass up the Gerber LX 3.0 on sale. It's a nice light. Lots of spill and my favorite part is that it uses AA's. It's not regulated but I may give up some brightnes and run it on NiMH for a flatter discharge curve. ---->snip<---

I run my Gerber LX3.0 on NiMH all the time and really don't find much difference except the drop off is quite a bit more abrupt if I run it to the end.

I would love to do a runtime to see how long it actually goes on the NiMH batts but I don't have any equipment. Mayve I can talk quickbeam into it or something <grin>.

CityHunter

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I already have those lights for six months, they are very useful,
so I call to order another Gerber LX-3 and Gerber Trio again.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zigzago said:
The page for the Gerber Trio on REI says,

"Brighter LED light shines a true white light that is nearly twice as bright as its predecessor,"

Have there been two generations of the Trio? Are they using better LEDs now?

That might be left over from the infinity/ultra days.