How to deal with problems at job #2

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my last post it was agreed on that the boss was boss and if I did not do as he said, I was stealing from him. If i didnt like the job, quit it.

Well, been at a new job. Went from part to full time with 10% raise. Flexible hours, lacks work environment. One problem. No one is on the same page. THe salesman I work with cant get his computer to show activities and demos I set up and must deal with the customers as to why it didnt happen. Literature regarding truck equipment is not there to send out, too complicated to explain. Another employee has a computer phobia and uses a notepad and a phone. I must print off stuff for him and type in what he has done. The female co workers use portable heaters in the ACed office. THey are on 24/7, the heaters and AC. Then there are other things that just drive me crazy, mainly waste related. Not waste waste, but wasting of resources.

My friend, brother and dad said thats common at all job and to just show up, do as your boss says and leave when done. I can do that, but it just irks me wasting my time, bosses money, utility bill for heating and cooling at the same time and spending time with the customers who want to buy something as to why they werent followed up with and didnt get info requested, quote or demo.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Welcome to corporate reality. You are not the boss, so why worry about it?

Read Dilbert Cartoons ... they deal with corporate reality and are [very unfortunately] not the joke they appear to be.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Cobb, I second what FlashlightOCD said. Sometimes Dilbert is uproariously funny because it describes something that just happened to you, or to someone you know. At other times, reading Dilbert is maddeningly depressing because it describes something that just happened to you, or to someone you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (Only half joking about that, really). The most important thing is to tell yourself, "this happens everywhere, I am not alone".

freefall8

Newly Enlightened
Dilbert is funny because it is reality. I have worked in the computer industry for 17 years, and Corporate America is the same everywhere.

Rent the movie "Office Space"...

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
freefall8 said:
... Rent the movie "Office Space" ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent suggestion.

I have a thousand true stories but one of the recent ones was when we ran into a space shortage at our facility. They were forced to put non-management persons next to windows. Well windows are only for managers, so they put up a cubicle wall to block the view to the window. I guess they assume a window would distract a non-mangement employee and they would never get anything done.

In this particular case the very valued employee built a periscope so he could see over the top of the cubicle wall, management finally relented and removed the unnecessary wall.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
THanks. Since then, they have slowly gotten their act together. I just did my job and slowly am shining. Had a big show this weekend. An employee invited me, gave me a lift. I demoed the equipment, talked to potential customers. As I asked everyone to see who was heading out to give me a lift back, someone stepped up. He went to tell the boss what he was doing. THe boss approached me and said he was taking me home. When he drove up, he had a bottle of gatorade I requested earlier in that day, but the booths were sold out. He took the long wrong way home and started asking me about my plans for the next 5 years, telling me I had a gift for bring folks over and out, wants me to attend the sales meeting. Guessing this is a good thing? Sometimes I feel like the bstrd employee as am last to know anything, including this show. Man, wish I had know this earlier and had tickets to give out to folks I invite to it. I will bring this up tomorrow. Guess better be careful I dont get fired on the other hand?