Red Leds in cafeteria?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I just noticed today that in my company cafeteria they have a lamp with a small array of red Leds aimed at the fresh [uncooked] fish and meats. I'm guessing it is suppose to make them look more appealing.

Is this a common practice? I never really paid any attention before, maybe they do this in grocery stores too?

goldenlight

Enlightened
Grocery stores often have red(ish) colored lights above fresh cuts of beef. It does make fresh beef look more appealing, and it helps hide the sickly color of outdated beef... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif

Fluorescent lighting isn't anywhere near daylight colored, and can make cuts of meat look less appealing. That being said, I'd prefer to just see the fresh meat cases in grocery stores lit with standard incandescent lamps, so 'what you see is what you get'

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. I don't think I ever saw a cafeteria that served uncooked meat. I suppose everyone is looking for ways to cut down on energy costs these days :)

You're lucky. My company's cafeteria is dimly lit so you can't get a good look at what you're buying. And they make you check your flashlights at the door. Always a bad sign.