anyone used the Honda Accord Hybrid yet?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone used the Honda accord hybrid yet? I already check the carreview.com web site but there has been no review at all. I need info on this model. I want to buy it because my honda 93 accord is near the end of its life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The accord should be just like the standard model, but with a touch more power. They did not try for higher milage or cleaner emissions. I take that back; it should kill the engine at stop lights like the Prius does, and that does save gas and emissions.

I've driven the Prius for 3 years and love it. You should not limit yourself if you are looking to replace your car.

Daniel

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
EPA estimates for the V-6 automatic hybrid are 29 city and 37 highway, vs. 20/29 for the V-6 auto non-hybrid.

What kind of mileage are you folks getting with the Prius?

best regards

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I have the older (2002) Prius. I get 50 - 55 on the freeway at 65 MPH. When I use it exclusively for short trips around town, the milege dips to around 45. Driving above 65 also drops the milage by 5 to 10 percent.

The one area where the Toyota hybrid version does not do as well (milage wise) is the short 1 to 2 mile trip. The engine never finishes heating up so it does not go into it's most efficient mode. The milage then dips to the high 30s. I've had only one tank of gas where the overall mileage was below 40. That was nothing but short trips and I frequently left my wife in the car with the AC running when she broke her ankle.

I've had a few runs of 5 miles on level land where everything was perfect and I hit 90 MPG. That is not the norm.

Daniel

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drove one of the Hybrid Accords about a week ago and was impressed. The one thing I noticed was the start could be a tiny bit jumpy when the V6 kicked in from being off (for example at a stop light) but that's a very minor detail. Having the hybrid car with a V6 may be more power than you need, but it definitely puts an end to people saying that the hybrids are wimpy. It seems like the Hybrid Accord would be the perfect compromise for someone who is looking to sacrifice a small amount of mileage for more power, but still get much better mileage than a non-Hybrid.

Another car worth looking at is the Hybrid Civic. I would recommend going down to a Honda dealership, asking to speak with the Hybrid expert, and then taking the Accord (and maybe the Civic) for a test drive.

I won't be getting one until they release a two door model, but overall it seemed like a great car and I'm going to seriously consider it in a few years when I'm in the market for a new car.

-Mike

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
You shoudl really test drive both Honda and Toyota. They are both neat cars.

The conventional need for power is based on the direct relationship between engine speed and power output. The Honda still has that direct tie between the engine and wheels via the transmission. To move at a specific speed the engine needs to turn at a specific speed and needs a large enough engine to make sure that it's in teh powerband at that engine speed.

The Prius uses a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that provides roughly the same horsepower and torque no matter what speed the car is traveling. The engine speed is not coupled to the wheel speed, so that a weaker engine can move the car at speed efficiently.

The Accord will have a faster 0-60 time, but that measurement is not as useful as it used to be since the power curve for the hybrids can be radically different from a conventional setup. When comparing conventional designs, the 0-60 can be used to help guess at passing ability, hill climbing, etc. That does not appky when hybrids enter the mix.

In real life, a 70 HP engine pulls my 2,800 pound Prius up a 6 percent grade and will accelerate briskly as it does so. It uses the 44 HP electric to help accelerate but uses only the ICE to maintain that 65 MPH speed. I don't drive every car on the market, but I do rent them from time to time. I know the 2002 Prius climbs hills better than a Mustang with a 5.0, and that it is more comfortable and economical to boot. It's actually fun to merge onto a freeway in San Diego where it's nothing but hills.... but not in the Mustang.

Anyway; try all you can. They are all fun.