please help my dad choose a camera

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok he has a 5 megapixel sony he says he wants more megapixels i say why he says to blow up yje pics so now he wants a 7 megapixel or over camera he likes sony so its hard to make him get something else he also likes small cameras any ideas what he shopu;ld get

Saaby

Flashaholic
Tiny: Canon PowerShot SD500

Small: (It's new, might be worth waiting for reviews) Canon PowerShot A620

I have an A80 (Similar to the A620). I love it. My Photos. I will own a dSLR some day, but I'll always keep a Canon with a flip out screen around. I find I almost never frame up shots at eye level. Belt level, above the head, off to the side, never at eye level.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just send him HERE .

Chosing a camera is so complex, you have to answer dozens of questions just to get in the ballpark.

Many people, including successful, professional photographers, feel that the tradeoffs between an 6MP and an 8MP just aren't worth it... And unless you are making very large prints, 5 MP are really plenty for an average consumer. Of my current cameras, my 5MP Minolta takes the most consistently pleasing photos overall... Only the experts can tell the resolution difference between it and the same shot out of my Nikon D-100.... And I get decent prints up to 20 X 30 inches from Shutterfly with the Minolta without interpolation programs or any other hassle. Up close, you can see things start to blur, but at normal distance most people wouldn't notice. 16 X 20 prints from shutterfly look as sharp as most 35mm cameras can do. .

I haven't done much research since th 7MP cameras came out... I hear they are better than the 8s in general overall quality, but couldn't say for sure.

Yeah, I'd like to have a nice new 8MP or higher camera than what I have now........ But I'm going to wait until they improve the 8MP sensor technology before I upgrade, or just wait until I can afford a 14 MP or 22 MP + real pro camera.

In the meantime, I'll just stick with an interpolation algorithm with my photo editing program if I have to blow things up for really big prints. A lot of pros say that they use the free INFRANVIEW program to interpolate their digital images for big enlargements, and that it works as well or better than the more expensive Photoshop plugins for enlargements.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he insists on Sony, for small there's this although I think the Canon SD500 is a better deal.

For a slightly larger but much more feature's, there's
this. I do think the 7 mp sensors produce a bit cleaner images then the 5 mp counterparts and I think handle noise at higher iso's better then the 8 mp but I wouldn't get rid of my 5mp just to upgrade to the 7mp.