New Lupine 4x3W LED bicycle light

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elecktrolumens has been making an identical 4 x 3watt "quad star" for over a year now, so this type set-up is not really new.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
john2551 said:
Elecktrolumens has been making an identical 4 x 3watt "quad star" for over a year now, so this type set-up is not really new.

Actually, in the past 6 months they've had a 6x 3w based bike light. lol
I believe it is called the ELX6. That thing will light up a whole driveway.

Elektrolumens also made it into a rechargeable handheld light.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alin10123 said:
Actually, in the past 6 months they've had a 6x 3w based bike light. lol
I believe it is called the ELX6. That thing will light up a whole driveway.

Elektrolumens also made it into a rechargeable handheld light.

Actually Wayne has many custom & semi-custom configurations available. As long as you have enough $$$ & some time & patience to wait. The ELX-6 production have taken several months. So "patience is a virtue"!!!!!!

camberol

Newly Enlightened
from [email protected], Lupine's American distributor:

greg, as soon as they arrive in the u.s. i will post prices on our website.....don't know for sure ....probably starting around $550.....should be here by october....regards, bill

They are certainly quite "proud" of their product.

Greg

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks like it will be a nice light. The optics look like they will both throw and give generous side spill. I have been using an Elektrolumens quad modified as a bike light with two 17mm reflectors and two Wide angle optics. I can see well 50 yards in front of my bike when the mountain roads and trails I ride are straight that far. Originallly it had 4 LP's but the extra throw was not needed and the corona was too dark, in relation to the hotspot, for my liking.
Everything Lupine makes is top notch so even though it is clearly not the brightest LED bike light in the world (The Elektrolumens ELX 6 is much brighter)it will be very nice and plenty bright. I will be curious about real world battery run times and it's final cost. :wave:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually Wayne first made it as a bike light. He and I had been emailing back and forth after I purchased my quad from him. The ELX series was originally going to be a bike light series. When he posted this, the handheld purists kept asking for a handheld and won out in the short term. All of this info. can be found in the different ELX threads. Wayne also mentioned recently he does have some ELX 6 heads that can be bike lights, but the ElX-6's and 3's need to be finished first.
The lupine, right down to the orientation of the LED's, seems like a nice copy of my quad. Of course with the addition of beautiful German engineered optics and body.
My original Quad came with the 4 LED's in a square pattern in relation to the ground.
Wayne re-made it for me, at my request, with the LED's in a diamond pattern in relation to the ground. All of this, including detailed pics of my quad and beam shots, was posted months ago. Certainly long enough ago for Lupine to take a look and make their own product.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=79524

The pics need to be viewed with a monitor on bright.
Notice my post date 3/28/05

Don't get me wrong, the Lupine looks like a fine light.
It is just neither the brightest LED bike like or original, for that matter. One person testing an ELX 6 handheld said it lit up a flag on a golf course 100's of yards in the distance and can turn off street lights.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Note: The Tesla 6 is the modded 6 cell light. (6 - 17mm reflectors clustered together very tight in a host body.)
The ELX-6 is a 10 cell AA rechargeable made by Wayne himself.
(6 - 20 mm reflectors in a hexagon pattern in a custom made head and body)

Last edited: