Argo HP running on a Pila??

pilot4x4

Enlightened
This has probably been discussed before but with the search not working correctly I haven't been able to find any old posts. Do any of you have an Argo HP headlight that you run off a 168s pila? Is so how much runtime do you get with the battery and does the headlight drop out of regulation before the battery cuts off?
John

pilot4x4

Enlightened
I don't have an Argo HP but from the looks of the headlight they are in series. Flashlightreviews.com says it can use a Pila. John

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't know about run time but it says on flashlightreviews.com that the pila's need to have the outer wrapper taken off for them to fit in the tube

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't know about run time but it says on flashlightreviews.com that the pila's need to have the outer wrapper taken off for them to fit in the tube

a Poster with the alias "cy" (without the dbl-quotes) does this according to his Posts that i've read recently. He claims a 17670 drops right in (if i recall correctly, he didn't specify brand or whether it was protected or unprotected) and runs for 10+ hours on HIGH. Not too shabby, to say the least!

boef800

Newly Enlightened
Yes,I'm using my seouled HP with protected 17670s from AW.It fits albeit it's a tight fit.Cannot say much about runtime though,never ran down a cell in the light,just used it for 1/2 hour/s at a time every other evening.But with that kind of use especially on low mostly it seems to run endlessly.

Greetings,Alex

P.S.:I recommend to do the seoulcure on that puppy with a reflector swap.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
All you need to do is shave a bit off the back of the original reflector and cut out two notches to accomodate the Seoul's legs. It's a really nice, bright beam.

boef800

Newly Enlightened
What reflector did you use? Have any pics?

I couldn't get the original reflector in a good focus with the seoulstar and sanded a McR38 down,but the ones from Photonfanatic shall fit as well.
Greetz,Alex
IMG_0849.jpg

boef800

Newly Enlightened
You can get a emitter and seoulreflectors through Photonfanatic(Fred) here on CPF.The McR reflector I bought at the Sandvichshoppe,but this reflector would require a good amount of sawing/sanding to make it fit.The 17mm or 20mm reflector from Fred seems to be a drop in solution for the HP.Someone posted about his modded HP with one of this reflectors here at CPF,just can't recall if it was the 17-or 20mm variant.

Alex

funder

Newly Enlightened
I replaced the stock luxeon star with a Seoul star from DX, the reflector I am using is MCR27, without modification. But it need to enlarge the hole of the plastic constuction to fit the new reflector.

I am using 17670 (168s) rechargable, it works fine, run time should be more than 3 hours on high, but not tested yet.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I've been running my argo HP almost exclusively on 17670s since i got it... have yet to order a Seoul for it, but that's definitely on the to-do list.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe this light could also run on 4AA, with a 17670-shaped dowel with contacts in the proper locations connecting to an external pack...