Please Clean Out Your Mailboxes!

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know where to put this so I'll try here. The new CPF format is working great, (thank you for all your work Sasha!), but I notice I can't PM anyone until they clean out their mailboxes. I had to clean mine up as I notice now we can only keep 100 messages in our boxes or put them in a separate file. So please clean them out so we can start communicatiing again! :)

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure that is actually the problem.

I half expected to lose PM's but mine says I have 3000! No way, so I'm not quite sure what happened, but I don't have that many, I'm sure.

I'd like to just wipe them all and start over, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I'm not very willing to check 3000 little boxes, though!!

Bill

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i had way more then i had on cpf to i delted most of em a while back.it didnt take me to long to redelte em

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,
I might regret it later but I just went ahead and deleted all of mine. To make it easy, just click the box on the right top of the page and it will automatically check all the boxes of the messages on the page. Then go to the bottom and bring up "delete" and hit "go".

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had PM's that were deleted long time ago, and somehow resurrected but already did clean my inbox.

Thanks!
AlexGT

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It appears those are copies of sent PMs that were somehow kept ... I just deleted about 750 of them ... argh!
bernie

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
bwaites said:

I half expected to lose PM's but mine says I have 3000! No way, so I'm not quite sure what happened, but I don't have that many, I'm sure.

I'd like to just wipe them all and start over, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Bill

That was the problem with me. You are only allowed 100 messages to be stored. vBulletin has a seperate folder for sent messages. After the upgrade, I noticed I had thousands of PMs too but in actuallity they were mostly sent messages, messages from years ago that I never knew was archived.

Go to your control panel, and click where it says "Private Messages", it'll bring a drop down menu and click on "Sent Items". Start deleting all those messages, can only do 50 at a time.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
In another thread PEU told us about the capability to download all PMs as .txt and .xml.

It only takes a few seconds and is very useful for organizational purposes.

This way you can just delete everything and lose nothing.

*Edit to clarify*

You still have to use the delete function to clean out your mailboxes..

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Icebreak said:
In another thread PEU told us about the capability to download all PMs as .txt and .xml.

It only takes a few seconds and is very useful for organizational purposes.

This way you can just delete everything and lose nothing.
I found that out only AFTER deleting the entire contents of my inbox and about half of my sent PMs.
shake.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:

Bill
Bill,

They are real, my friend. For whatever reason, every PM I ever sent was there in my sent folder, and I had to delete all 999 of them, 50 at a time.

Do it. Do it now.

Greta

Flashaholic
On the old software, you had the option of keeping a copy of a sent PM in your sent box or not. The ones that you chose NOT to keep a copy of still existed in the database... even though they didn't appear in your sent PM box. Well now they are coming back to haunt you. I had over 3000 that I had to zap yesterday.

I think that the 100 limit is going to be sufficient once everyone gets their sent boxes cleared out and then adjusts to having to either download them and/or lose them and/or not be able to get anymore. As you can see, there were ALOT of these things hanging out in the database and cluttering up the system... obviously most of them were PM's that you all had chosen not to keep a copy of to begin with. And obviously, this was a "feature" of the old software that no one was aware of... another reason why the UBB software was such a nightmare... a definate screw up on someone's part in writing that bit of software... one of many... :rolleyes:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a haunting indeed.. everything I'd ever written and everything I'd ever said coming back for me.... ARRRGH!!!! :eek: :eek:

Wasn't too hard to swiftly nuke 'em all though.

Put it this way.. it's a small price to pay for the benefits we're enjoying as a result of the conversion. :thumbsup: (when that graemlin comes back from its vacation :D)

hideo

Enlightened
KevinL wrote: "What a haunting indeed.. everything I'd ever written and everything I'd ever said coming back for me.... ARRRGH!!!!"

worse yet, every dollar I ever spent ... recorded right there ;)

I'm emptying that sucker as soon as I get home

hideo

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell said:
Not only did I clean out my PM's I then immediately scurried over to turn that feature back off! :eek:

He he. I cleaned out mine too. But first I downloaded all 1000 or so. The download is a handy feature. I like to keep the record.

But, Darell, did you turn off your ability to send and receive PMs? I couldn't exist on CPF without that feature. :D

Paul

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to keep all my messages since I always end up needing to go back to retrieve some info from one of them, so a limit of 100 is not enough. If downloading messages to a file then I need to do this again and again, and I will end up with a lot of files with all messages spread around (and I use different computers as well adding to the difficulty of getting my old messages). So I have switched to email only for the time being in anticipation of a limit free CPF.

Sigbjoern