ever have the feeling of doom

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i mean about the world in general?i mean with this huricane and the things on news there saying about oil.this looks real bad the huircane being not the worst part i mean a country wide energy crises like we never seen befre .i just have a weird feeling.from what there saying people may not even beable to heat there homes this winter.i hope its jst the media being there usall scary selfs. but it looks bad

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the end of the world doesn't need to be a scary thing :shrug:

oh, am i not helping? :p

raggie33

*the raggedier*
that would work .probaly hard to adjust it i think for whole house.but will be cheaper

Santelmo

Enlightened
Yup, I suppose we all go through that feeling once in a while Raggie.

I can only say that for myself; I try my darndest everyday to smile and be thankful for every little thing this the day brings me because, in spite of everything, I REALLY do have a lot to be thankful for (a cute niece, the opportunity to choose and decide, and folks who allow and support me and my endeavors).

Maybe this is sort of my "blanket" that if ever the END does come in whatever shape or form, I could be content in some way and say it was good life.

Last edited:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Think about it this way.

The world hasn't really changed. We have.

I can only really see two/three major threats that our civilization poses to itself, which makes having Human Civilization "more dangerous" than not having it.

1. Nuclear War. (obvious) (although nukes could conceivably save us from the ultimate disaster, an asteroid or comet...)

2. Plauge. (Either bio-warfare/genetic engineering run amok, or just regular disease spread by modern travel.)

All the rest are benifits.

Destructive weather is the perfect example of this. We now have modern meterology, weather aircraft, radar, satellite warning of impending hurricaines, storms, tornadoes etc. Which saves thousands of lives every year. Before the 1940's, we had to hope a ship that ran into a hurricaine could radio land a warning, even then it realy didn't tell the story of how big, bad, or where the hurricaine was going.

Before radio, hundreds or thousands of people just died in the storms. Maybe somebody with a barometer had a little warning, but all it told them was that a storm was coming, they had little idea how bad, or where it would be.

The bad Pacific tsunami? That was a political failure of the countries affected. The U.S. knew about the tsunami hours ahead of time, and sent out warnings to Malaysia, Thailand, Burma, etc. but they didn't distribute the warnings properly. Had they gotten the word out to drop everything and head inland, even poor people on foot would have likely been saved. Unless it takes 50-100 years for the next tsunami, you can bet people will get the word out next time around...

Other bad stuff, like all the diseases you hear about, cancer this, diabetes that, heart disease, the obesity "epidemic in America"... All of that is because we now live long enough to actually get these diseases. The rest is because modern technology means we have too much and too rich of foods in our diets. In yesteryear, only the very rich or "the king" ate enough, and was lazy enough to get these diseases. Everyone else lived lives of back-breaking work on barely enough food. People never got cancer in the prior centuries because they were "old" and died at 40-50 years old.

So in essence a lot of our problems are because so many really bad ones we barely even think about have been fixed. The rest is because modern technology blasts the "bad news" at us from TV, radio, newspapers, and the Internet non-stop. The odds for humanity are better now with all our "modern dangers" IMO, than they were 100 years ago.

cslinger

Enlightened
The human animal is the most adaptable creature on the planet. We go through good times, we go through bad times. When the times get really bad we adapt or change. Whether that means finding new sources of energy or simply learning to make do without we will adapt, it is in our nature.

People flourished long before everything needed oil or electricity to function.

As for the media, if it Bleeds it Leads they make their money on fear mongering and keeping people attached to the screen waiting for the next disastor, terrorist attack, murder, school shooting, kidnapping etc. Yes we have issues, society always has but the media and it's fear mongering is at a level we have never seen before.

For example by watching the news you would think that America is the most violent scary place it's ever been. School shootings, work shootings, kidnappings etc. The reality is that violent crime has been on a steady decline for quite some time.

Turn the news off and watch a cartoon or something fun. Eat a good meal and get a good nights sleep and wake up looking at all the good things in your personal sphere of influence.

Life is too short and you are dead a long time to sweat most things.

sniper

Enlightened
Hey,Raggie:

Yes, it looks really discouraging, when taken from the perspective of the media, but remember their motto: "If it bleeds, it leads!" What was that old cow kicker song? "Gloom, despair and agony"?

No, the sky is not about to fall, nor the world be destroyed by a nuclear or other holocalust.

There are many more good, productive, caring people in the world in all societies, than there are monsters that we constantly read about or see on the tube.

There are bad times, natural disasters, but observe the help given to survivors.

There are more of us good people than there are of the others. Life is difficult at times, but good!

haley1

Enlightened
Only when my wife finds my new flashlight or firearm. I'm sure the Romans felt that way with the barbarians at the gate, but the world survived. They didn't but the world did. Have a good beer and cigar, it all doesn't seem so bad then. Enough beer and you won't care either way.