Which handheld do you recommend?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sister is looking for a decent handheld in the 100-200$ range. Can someone recommend a handheld or a decent brand they have had good experience with?

Sorry for being so vague, I meant the PDA for storing documents, etc.

Thanks

Last edited:

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags said:
My sister is looking for a decent handheld in the 100-200$ range. Can someone recommend a handheld or a decent brand they have had good experience with?

Sorry for being so vague, I meant the PDA for storing documents, etc.

Thanks

There is no PDA in that price range. Your sister must be willing to spend up to $400-600 to get a good PDA to store documents etc. These things takes up lots of memory and processor power to read doc. I recommend the Asus Pocket PC. Asus is the motherboard brand that makes robust ppc that is reliable like Honda. this is the link http://usa.asus.com/ Your sister has to order from a computer store. Most store don't stock it because it is order item. You can check the web site for the spec before order it.

nethiker

Enlightened
Mags,

I was surprised to find how these have come down in price. If you want a Windows pocketpc handheld I would suggest a HP Ipaq. I use to use one and liked it because of the operating system but my wife's Palm Tungsten seems to be built better. If you want a wider selection of programs and like to tweek your gadgets, I'd go with the Ipaq. If you just want a quality PDA that's fairly straight forward then I'd say the Palm is hard to beat.

Greg

Edit: tried to fix Ipaq link. I don't know anything about Duff's Wholesale. New Egg is a good e-tailer. You could also look at the Dell Axim for a windows machine.

Last edited:

aceo07

Enlightened
Storing documents? What type of documents? MS word or Lotus or just plain text?

If it's just plain text, you could probably just get away with getting any cheap Palmpilot. They probably range from $60 to $200 depending on features and color/grayscale screen. There are also more expensive PDAs in the $400-$600 range, but I doubt you'll need those features.

However, you need to really tell us what the PDA is going to be used for and what's expected from it. What features are most important?

As for price comparisons, check out http://www.pricegrabber.com I typically use it before buying gadgets. Read the reviews on the store and item. There's also a section on PDAs.

Make sure you know what features you NEED before going to the store. Don't get pressured into buying something that is overpriced and loaded with things you'll never need.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to work for Tmobile wireless. I troubleshoot all HP IPAQ, tungsten. They are slowww. IPAQ crash frequently. It is mass produced without expansion capability. I have faith in Asus products.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an ASUS 716, and I like it a lot.... But I wouldn't buy another. My next one will probably be a Dell AXIM or an HP..... The reason: more 3rd party goodies and support available.

I also have a Palm Tungsten E.
Don't bother with a Palm unless you want only the minimum functionality. The Palm OS is decent, and im my experience more stable (I have to do a soft reset on my ASUS about 3 times a day, I've done a soft reset on the Palm twice in two years) but you really need to buy a top end machine to have any power and flexibility to it.

Actually you need to spend $300 + on either a Palm or a PPC to get anything more than an crappy document reader and a decent address book and calendar... (Which you can buy made of paper for a dollar that will be just as useful.

If all she needs is something to STORE documents, why not just get a "thumb drive" that plugs into USB port? You can STORE lots of documents on one and buy it for "pocket change"

Last edited:

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dell axim at $200 is a killer pocket pc. I have the more epensive faster version but I don't go anywhere without mine. Schedules, directions, contacts, spreadsheet info, you name if and I'm organized. Syncs with Outlook. Don't think you can go wrong there. I did add the software pocket informant which changes the basic look to text descriptions on the calendar dates, way cool, and allows an almost infinite bit of options for customizing colors. This software is the best and changes everything for the better.

Last edited: