Happy hunting! Jupiters at Target!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Came back from Target with THREE new lights!
River Rock 1.5 watt Nichia Jupiter (2xAA batteries) $19.99
River Rock 1.5 watt Nichia Jupiter (2xC batteries) $24.99
River Rock 1.5 watt Nichia Jupiter Lantern (4xAA batteries) $19.99

Manufacturer Listed as
River Rock Designs LLC
Austin, TX 78734

----------------------------------------------------------------
The 2xAA light appears to be the Aurora 2xAA 1.5 Watt Nichia Jupiter LED (ALJ-012AA) under a different brand name.

See review here http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/aurora_alj-012aa.htm
This light does NOT come with sheath but does have lanyard and batteries included.
Manufacturer claims 1.5 hrs max light/2.5 hrs useable light.

The 2xC light appears to be another re-branded Aurora 1.5 Watt Nichia Jupiter LED but I haven't seen another 2xC version reviewed anywhere. This light does NOT come with sheath but does have lanyard and batteries included.
Manufacturer claims 6.5 hrs max light/9 hrs useable light.

The 4xAA Lantern bears a resemblance to this http://www.brookstone.com/shop/prod...arch_type=search&search_words=led&prodtemp=t1

But the switch is on top, the single 1.5 Watt Nichia Jupiter LED is affixed to the inner top of the lantern and the very nice conical mirror is mounted below. The mirror really diffuses the light pretty evenly around and kicks the hell out of my 12 LED lantern for output. There are no fold out feet.

It has Off/On/Flash with the flash being a very bright strobe that might be ideal for signaling distress in a broken down vehicle! Everything on this lantern feels very solid and appears to be fully water sealed though I haven't tested this yet.
Manufacturer claims 5.5hrs max light/8 hrs useable light, 16 hrs in "flash mode"

---------------------------
ED: Jeez, I'm so excited. This is my first ever "Scoop"! <grin>

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it's really quite a thrower. However it is a sharply defined spot and I think it's really more of a mid to long distance spot vs say the close to mid of a Surefire L2.

It's throw is every bit as far as a Gerber LX 3.0, but the Gerber has a LOT more side spill.

The optic makes the spot absolutely even though. If it's inside the spot, it's lit!

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I'll have to go hunting for these on lunch. I wouldn't mind picking up one of the 2xAA models. I might even like one of the lanterns.

Thanks for the heads up zespectre!

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip!

I will probably pick up one or two of the "C" versions for the kids and possibly as camping lights.

Jon

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, in with all of the other flashlights on their big wall o' lights. This was in Falls Church, VA. (not where I usually shop but hey, I'm not complaining).

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Well Well- Great Find! That lantern appears to be the infamously hard to come by Osram Golden Dragon Lantern- It uses a single high power LED (instead of th 4*5mm that the Brookstone used) that was unfamiliar at the time it came out, probably because it was a JUPITER. I already have the 2AA (and that is a great price by the way) and it is a really cool spot light- definately worth picking up (excellent build quality, etc). I really hope my local target has that lantern- I'll take a trip out there today.

jtice

Flashaholic
hmmm, the OSRAM lantern uses a Golden Dragon LED.

Are we sure these are the same?

What do they say on the lantern?

I might have to make a trip to the local Target ! :grin:

~John

jtice

Flashaholic
I have a couple OSRAMS, but how, and what are you wanting me to confirm?

As far as I knew, the Golden Dragon, and Jupiter LEDs were not the same animal.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
jtice said:
I have a couple OSRAMS, but how, and what are you wanting me to confirm?

As far as I knew, the Golden Dragon, and Jupiter LEDs were not the same animal.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that these two (Osram golden Dragon and the new Target lantern) were the same product.

Thanks

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Top, River Rock 2 C Batteries. Bottom River Rock 2 AA Batteries.

dsc011165cz.jpg

Left, River Rock 2 AA. Right, River Rock 2 C at 7"

dsc011135zo.jpg

Left, River Rock, 2 AA. Right, River Rock 2 C at 70"

dsc011144ka.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
matthewdanger said:
Sorry, should have been more clear. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that these two (Osram golden Dragon and the new Target lantern) were the same product.

Thanks

Target is about a 25 minute drive from here, and I kinda dont want to make the trip down there just to see, I would, but I doubt I will want to buy one, since I ahve two OSRAMS already :p

Anyone know if it says anything on the lantern?
Is the small dome in the middle clear, or white?

~John

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try to get the time to post some photos tonight. I am sure that the lantern has a Jupiter half dome up in the top though (at least it looks identical to every picture I've seen of a Jupiter half dome).

On the other hand the 2xAA flashlight has been running in my office for about 4 hours now. I think it is slightly dimmer but I can still easily read a newspaper headline on the other side of a darkened 20 ft room.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice said:
Target is about a 25 minute drive from here, and I kinda dont want to make the trip down there just to see, I would, but I doubt I will want to buy one, since I ahve two OSRAMS already :p

Anyone know if it says anything on the lantern?
Is the small dome in the middle clear, or white?

~John

The lantern says RIVER ROCK and that's it.
The emitter (plainly visible on the top inside) looks exactly like this http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/ledsupply/Io-Moon-Large.jpg without the board.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I seen the dome is frosted.

The lantern is a lot taller than the Osram. It is also wider.

Has a flat bottom. No legs like the Osram.

I was going to buy the lantern but I bought the Dorcy 3 D. The Dorcy was on sale for $21.99.

jtice

Flashaholic
it seems I forgot to upload the pics of the OSRAM that I took apart :(
Ill have to do that tonight,

but it seems the lantern is totally differnt at least.
I THINK the led looked like that though, so they MAY be using the same led.

Thanks for the pics.

~John

Latest posts