Are there any short & fat 3 x AA Luxeons?

balazer

Enlightened
I'm looking for a 3 x AA Luxeon flashlight with the batteries in a triangular side-by-side arrangement, like the majority of 3 x AAA lights.

I want something that I can mod with a Luxeon III. AAs would give me almost triple the capacity, with only a small size increase. I don't care for the 3 x AA lights that have the batteries in a long row.

balazer

Enlightened
Yeah, I've seen the Blaster Jr before. It looks too big though. It seems to me that three AA batteries shouldn't take up so much space. Maybe my proportions are all messed up.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
You said you wanted "short & fat" & it is just that!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few months ago, I started a thread asking for examples of such lights. When the search engine is working again, search for the following words in the title:

AA
side

My thread, however, was not limited to Luxeons, or even to LED lights.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
There are many cheap 4AA lights but I don't see why a cheaper cartridge design similar to the 3AAA ones everywhere in the market cannot be made to fit a 1D sized tube.

TomBrown

Newly Enlightened
balazer said:
I'm looking for a 3 x AA Luxeon flashlight with the batteries in a triangular side-by-side arrangement, like the majority of 3 x AAA lights.

I want something that I can mod with a Luxeon III. AAs would give me almost triple the capacity, with only a small size increase. I don't care for the 3 x AA lights that have the batteries in a long row.

If you're not stuck on the 3 side by side arrangement, why not look at the StreamLight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon? It has a terrific form factor, IMO.

- Tom

balazer

Enlightened
Thanks, Paul! Did you ever try that 3xAA side-by-side Luxeon from InCognato.net?

Tom,

The Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA is a little bigger than I wanted, and I think the beam is actually too tight for a Luxeon III. And I don't know if it could dissipate the heat, with its plastic case

But I know it's a great light in its own right, and you've reminded me that I should buy one.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
balazer said:
Thanks, Paul! Did you ever try that 3xAA side-by-side Luxeon from InCognato.net?
No. Most Costco 2AA was all I needed in a 1W format. Now a Hotwire, I've kissed goodbye to 1W, LED, and AAs.

By the way, I can no longer find that 3AA 1W Luxeon on Ingonato's site. Did anyone find it?

balazer

Enlightened
The 3 AA Luxeon is still on InCognato.net. But I am skeptical that it really takes AA batteries. The diameter is listed as 2.54 cm, which is narrower than three AA batteries.