Katrina Victims Check In Thread

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please use this as a check in thread, then maybe we can use it to keep track of the best way to get funds to members that need them.

Please feel free to add names that you know and updates and I will TRY to keep this up to date.

Chop-Lives in Metarie, just outside New Orleans, major damage to home. Currently in hotel in Atlanta, will need emergency funds. Able to access PayPal funds: PayPal address for account/cash transfers is [email protected] and the address for credit cards and other forms of payment is [email protected]

rick258-Lives in Metairie, just outside New Orleans. Checked in 8/31. In Dothan, Alabama in hotel. Will need funds, (See post below). PayPal is [email protected]. Rick is going to be very short of cash funds soon, and he can access his bank and PayPal by internet.

adimag-OK in upstate LA, power restored to his home in LaPlace, La. Headed home tomorrow. Will be without internet service for awhile.

revolvergeek-Lives in Baton Rouge. Contacted Sigman 9/1. Everything OK, but very busy.

BigBoy-Status Unknown.

Vhyper007-Status Unknown.

xraydoc-Status Unknown.

SteveC-LEO in Louisiana, OK, working like crazy, has checked in (9/14), received care package from Don (McGizmo). I have asked for contact info and if we can help

RoboCop-LEO in Alabama, checked in 9/1. Safe, minimal home damage. Has offered his home for CPF'ers needing a place to stay for a period of time. Will probably going to NOLA area to help as LEO. "If any stranded members need help feel free to reach me at South Precinct evening shift (3-11pm) Birmingham Police Dept. (205) 254-2793 Leave a message for Officer Hall and any contact numbers you may have."

Tree-OK, with relatives in upstate area. Believes house has minimal or no damage.

Chief Wiggum-Status Unknown, Newly Moved to NOLA area?

Gutwrench-Status Unknown.

SubUmbra-Status unknown, NOLA area?

Nightshade- Checked in, entire street destroyed, I have requested additional contact info.

Bill

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Darell!!

Hopefully everyone will keep track of it. I keep updating from other threads, but it would be nice if we could get people to keep it all in one thread!

Bill

rick258

Enlightened
Hi All -- Thanks Bill for starting this thread. I wish everyone in Katrina's path the best of luck in their recovery and hope everyone's families are ok. As far a property devastation and recovery goes, anyone in the direct path of this catastrophic killer hurricane needs all the help anyone can provide us.

As some of you may know, I live in a suburb of New Orleans (about one air mile form Chop). I volunteer with a government agency in New Orleans and usually stay to provide my services when there is a natural disaster in the area. That was my intention this time as I have a "safe" place to ride out the storm but since I could not take my 85 year old dad with me to my served agency, I decided to evacuate at the last moment. Only had time to pack a couple changes of clothes, some important documents, and some flashlights.

Bottom line is we are alive, unfortunately I cannot add "and well" because our lives have been devastated. We don't know for sure what has happened to our home but I have seen some televised video very near our house and it looks like our home will be a total loss with virtually everything we owned also destroyed due to water damage.

Since we decided to evacuate so late, we had to drive to Lake City, FL to find a hotel room for a 1 night stay. I was exhausted from boarding up the windows of our home and securing the yard. Due to trying to follow what was happening with Katrina I had minimial sleep Friday night and Saturday night. We evacuated Sunday around noon. Wanted to go east to Florida due to projected track of storm and most LA residents appeared to evacuating north and west. Ran into horrific traffic so took to back roads and ended up going to Gulfport, MS and then to Laurel, MS and then back down to I-10 somewhere east of Pensacola. Around Crestview, FL we started lookikng for lodging but could not find anything available so continued east thru Tallahassee, FL and then on to Lake City, FL. Arrived around 5am Monday. Had been up for over 24 hours and on road for around 17 hours of hard driving. Rested Monday and tried to follow what was happening in New Orleans. News was discouraging to say the least. Had to find cheaper accomodations so left Lake City, FL on Tuesday morning and ended up in Dothan, AL. Will be here until at least Friday morning as we look for longer term housing as we do not expect to be able to return to New Orleans any time in the foreseeable future (or to work for that matter) and do not have the funds to stay in hotels much longer.

I will be able to look at this thread occasionally until Thursday night and after that I do not know when I will have internet access again.

Best wished to all who are suffering from this natural disaster.

Rick

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rick,

Can you access your PayPal and bank accounts?

If not, will your hotel allow us to pay for your room on credit cards so you can use your cash?

Bill

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rick258,

You are one of the Polaris participants so it's only fitting that the project help you. I've assembled another Polaris and have located a buyer. The entire purchase price will be forwarded to you when you let us know how you can access funds. Alternatively, let us know where you're staying and I'll credit it towards your hotel bill.

My thoughts are with you and yours.

Wilkey

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Rick258,

Prayers sent for you and your family. I am very sorry to hear of your situation.

rick258

Enlightened
THANKS one and all for your support. I can access my bank account via internet. pp is [email protected]

Bill - Please send your email address to rick258(at)gmail(dot)com as I need to correspond with you and do not have time to clear my PM's to be able to receive PM's at this time.

Ya'll will never know how much this means to me and my father.

THANKS

Will check in when I can.

Rick

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Rick,

Paypal sent. Very sorry that it is not much, wish I could do more.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rick,

PP sent, know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your Dad.

jeffb

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Rick,

Stay safe and take care of your dad.
Paypal sent.

daloosh

Rick you should temporarily lift the security feature requiring confirmed addresses if you can to make it easier for people to send you funds.

Last edited: