Habeneros are IN!!!

DarkLight

Enlightened
my first attempt at growing them..

I picked these off of my 4 plants..there are tons of not so orange and green ones left on there..

Any tips from the experts out there?

habs.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wow there so pretty i only got one ppper on habnero to grow this year.now im no expert but id dry them babbys then put em in coofee grinder. with some salt and garlic.then after there grided finely id add em to some vinager i like my hot sauce thick so id just cover em a bit with vinager and let em set in the sun in sterile jar then add more vinager if needed(please note im no expert just a lover of hot stuff lol i have a gallon a hot sauce on porch now getting sun ageing it)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well i use my food dehradter .ya can get cheap ones at big lots

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pepper Envy!!

What a nice basket of habaneros, if you plan to work with them use fork & knife (or gloves) or try to minimize touch with bare hands.

Why you may ask, because if you later touch your eyes or your nose you will surelly remember this advise :D I know for personal experience... :shakehead

Pablo

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Be very aware of everything that you touch after you handle them.

My grandfather once washed his hands after handling some peppers. Later my father came in from working on my car with me and washed his face before dinner. I dried his face on the towl that my grandfather used to dry his hands. It was a very painful accident for my dad.

DarkLight

Enlightened
O i know about their powers..I have been cooking with them a while just first time for growing them..

We had a nice hot summer here and my plants turned into shrubs...

Miracle grow and well water and lotsa sun....

I def use rubber gloves to handle anything cut.........

Topper

Flashaholic*
If you do not want too wait for them to dry Then boil them in Vinegar (best done outside) my grill has a sideburner that works great for that, plain White Vinegar with the Garlic a little Salt and any other items you like in your hot sauce. Do not remove the seeds thats were most of the heat is. After it cools pour into a blender run on high then add more Vinegar as needed for control of how thick or thin you like it, I switch over to Red Wine Vinegar for that. Gloves is a good idea even when pulling the stems off. Have fun they look wonderful. You can use the green ones as well but they taste "green"
(to me) How could I forget the Lime juice?? add Lime juice after it cools if you have not tried it in your hot sauce you are in for a treat.
Topper

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah they make me so jeoles they are stunning good lookiing peppers.hect perhaps ya shopuld just store em in vinager so they reatain there look.dud eya are a great gardner

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
watch your eyes too when pulling off the stems or smashing/chopping up. It could squirt into your face! ouch!!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I work with food and use a wide variety of peppers, here's my two cents worth.

In a nutshell here's what ya do - Get rid of the ribs and the seeds. Lots of heat there but little flavor. The oil in the ribs is what pepper spray is made with. The seeds are hot because they rub against the ribs. Use only the flesh of the peppers. Don't kid yourself about habeneros (scotch bonnets), they'll still be hot, but at least you'll get some flavor.

If they are too hot for you, don't drink water. You won't be able to drink enough. Since what makes them hot is an oil, water will just spread the misery. Try milk, yogurt, beer, or bread.

Wear gloves when you pick them or handle them in any way. You get only one time to make the mistake of touching your eyes or nose, or, uh, well, more personal areas. More than that and we have permission to laugh at your misery.

If you get some in your eyes, nose, or, well, ... some place, uh, shall we say "tender," flush the area with continuously running water. Let the water really run for several minutes. Then let it run some more.

I prefer to roast them.

Grubbster

Enlightened
I have 3 bushes and they are just loaded with peppers! We have had a dry hot summer which is what these things thrive on. What I do with them is saute' some onions, carrots, and garlic in a skillet with some olive oil. Take this mixture with peppers that have been seeded and put it in a blender. Blend with white vinegar to the consistency desired. Then take the mixture and put it into ice cube trays and freeze. I then put these into bags of about 6 and vacumn pack them. These cubes will last several years and are great to pull out and pop into all sorts of dishes.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use gloves or pay a very dear price!, remember the thread about the burning butt?, same applies to eyes and nose.

AlexGT

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
DarkLight said:
my first attempt at growing them..

I picked these off of my 4 plants..there are tons of not so orange and green ones left on there..

Any tips from the experts out there?

habs.jpg
Very Nice! I bought some chocolate habeneros and some white habeneros and had my father-in-law and brother-in-law plant them. I think it was a little late because nothing came up.

We will try again next year.

JOshooter

Enlightened
Alton Brown, host of "Good Eats"; did a show about all kinds of peppers. It's scheduled to air again on the 19th of September on the Food Network. Also, store bought dehydrators tend to rely on heat to help take the moisture out of food, the heat can also cook the food...What Alton Brown did for jerky is he took some air conditioner filters, layed the meat strips on several filters, and stacked them on top of a square household fan, secured it with some kind of twine/rope, and placed it vertically on a windowsill facing outward. The exact recipie can be found here

Last edited: