Coast V2 (triplex LED).. is it any good?

phil_vr

Newly Enlightened
Hi..

I have in my collection so far a Mini-Maglite(Krypton), a Garrity Aluminum 2AA (Xenon), and a Garrity Aluminum Nichia LED 3AAA. So far I use these all for household tasks and garage works. I know that they are the plainest mainstream flashlights but I am new to this hobbie and my needs are not that extreme. I recently saw at Radioshack the Coast V2 Triplex LED, which uses 3 N batteries and it is a bit smaller than my minimag. That is good for me since I love flashlights of that size, but for 20$ worth I need to know if it is any good, or it comes pretty much to the level of the Garrity LED I own. :shrug:
I saw that it has a good runtime and this is a great plus to me since I intend to carry it on hiking and in general wherever power supplies is not the easiest to find. My intention to have a flashlight as an all around without needing a specific for each task is also a plus. And I know that surefire's and streamlights are superb, but right now my budget doesnt allow me such a quantum leap. :broke:
I saw the reviews on the flashlightreviews.com but I couldnt find a review for that flashlight.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Also if someone has a better proposal, please let me know the address where I can order it. Thanks in advance..

Philip V.
NY

P.S. Does the V2 has any good output so I can brag a bit to my father in law who is sickly in love with 3D and 4D Maglite's? :huh2:

not2bright

Enlightened
phil_vr,

I believe this light has 3 5mm LEDs I found a site that said "wide beam" and for "indoor use". I do NOT believe this light will come close to the output of a Mag. And for throw (distance) the Mag would far, far, far better. The only advantage to the Triplex would be the color of the light output, and runtime.

Here is the manufacturer site:

http://www.coastcutlery.com/?v=&pl=141&p=429.

I have a Coast Mini Moon (regulated 1 aaa with optic). It works OK indoors in complete dark to find your way around. It has exactly the same output as my Garrity 3 aaa nichia (the Garrity has 3x the run time). I would imagine the triplex would be about 3 times more flood output (no optic). I can't see it usefully lighting up an object 30' away. No throw outdoors.

Do yourself a favor and get a bit better light ($30-$50). I am sure there will be many suggestions to follow. As far as showing up a 3 or 4 cell Mag, you have to spend well more than $20 on a LED light. Good choice is to modify a 3D mag with a 3 watt LED. Or buy a Diamond drop in (DB-3W). This would net about the same throw as a regular Mag, would look brighter due to the beam color, and give better run time. This would cost you a 3D Mag plus ~$33 shipped for the DB-3W. Very simple upgrade, and would "wow" a standard Mag user.

Last edited:

not2bright

Enlightened
phil_vr,

Another possible suggestion, if you are looking to stay around the $20 mark is the Dorcy Metal Gear. Doesn't have the throw of a 3D mag with new cells, but does out out some light with good throw, uses 3 aaa, and costs $19 at Wally World. This light uses the same 3 aaa type carrier as your Garrity and makes the Garrity look like a complete joke. Well except for the run time.

Another suggestion would be a Pelican M6 LED ($47). Great output, well made (in the US), lifetime warranty, uses lithium cr123s. Still won't out-throw the 3D Mag, but is a sixth of the size.

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
A V2 Triplex was my first "real" led-flashlight ... 3 years ago, or so. It´s ok, but I wouldn´t recommend it for real use. It´s uses three direct driven 5mm LEDs, which are bright ... at least with fresh batteries ;).

It´s relatively small, but very heavy. Others would say it´s a durable construction, but in my opinion it weights far too much for its size.

My suggestion would be a Streamlight Luxeon Jr. ... but it´s only a bit above your price limit (30$), but I don´t know what alternatives your supermarkets offer.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If you want a good light, forget the triplex.

--> N-cells aren't the best and powerful choice here
--> not water-resistant
--> not regulated
--> heavy (made of powder-coated solid brass)

It is not a "bad" light, there are just better out there now. Except for the design which is still very nice and cool looking.

ll_v2_series.jpg

ll_v2_series_bezels.jpg

bernie

phil_vr

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys for all the info and help. I understand that being a new in this sport, I may sound weird and without knowledge of lights, except the extreme passion of possessing some good flashlights.

I found the Pelican M1 very good and small enough in the site you suggested.
And the Streamlight Luxeon Jr. and the Dorcy Metal Gear are very tempting. I think squeezing my budget a bit to obtain two flashlights, will be well worth it!

By the way, Kiessling if this is your collection of the Coast brand, its amazing!

So far my own collection is a Maglite Solitaire, Garrity Micro LED keychain, a Mini-Maglite (with krypton bulb), a Garrity Aluminum 2AA (Xenon bulb), and a Garrity Nichia LED 3AAA.

Thanks also not2bright, for mentioning this upgrade of the Diamond drop in (DB-3W) for a 3D Maglite. My father in law is complete nuts about Maglites and I am damn sure he has a very old one thrown in a case in the garage.
I think the modification itself worths the money just to see his face after a
direct comparison to what he mention as "incomparable"! :sweat:

I guess owning many flashlights can never be enough right? I just started and
I own 3 of them and it is damn addictive! So be it.. Everyone appreciated it
a couple of weeks back when we had a power shortage in the neighbourhood
and all family members had the priviledge to carry a flashlight each! Even the
solitaire proved handy, despite its ridiculous output. I wonder how amazed I
will be when I will gradually upgrading and obtaining more powerful flashlights. :wow:

Once again thank you all, for the help and for making this stupid of question
of mine answered and making me feel like "home" with the helpful info. :thanks:

Philip V.
NY

not2bright

Enlightened
phil_vr,

Another great thing about the DB-3W is the run time. I have read that it will put out bright light for nearly 24 hours, with useable light for another 3 days.

So not only will your father in law notice the "brightness" the upgrade will easily pay for itself in battery savings. Also having something that will provide light for extended periods can be invaluable.

I got my DB-3W from led-replacement. They were great to deal with.

http://www.led-replacement.com/db-3w.html

If you are looking at the Pelican line, BatteryStation is excellent:

http://www.batterystation.com/m1led.htm

They are a CPF supporter and provide special pricing on some items (PM6 and cr123 cells):

http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm

If it would still be within your size requirements, the Pelican M6 LED puts out 41 lumens vs. the M1 at 26 lumens. Also the M6 is made in the US and M1 is not. Both use cr123 but the M1 uses 1 and the M6 takes 2. M6 only costs $17 more with the CPF discount. Pretty good change in output for $17, and I can tell you the PM6 throws well.

Either way batterystation sells the cr123 for $1 ea, or $2 for Duracells.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
By the way, Kiessling if this is your collection of the Coast brand, its amazing!

:D Nope, this is just the collection of the V2-Series. I have almost all of their lights as those had been the ones that started the hobby with me. Looking back is nice, but in retrospective it was uselessly spent money as there are better lights out there.

On the other hand ... it is so much more fun to climb up the ladder step by step while enjoying each step instead of jumping at the top asap IMHO ... :D

bernie

lamperich

Enlightened
Kiessling said:
:D Nope, this is just the collection of the V2-Series. I have almost all of their lights as those had been the ones that started the hobby with me.

How many lights all in all?

do you also have the "Gigichip" LED lenser? :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Several dozen overall. Mostly useless, I consider it a service for CPF :green:
I do not have the GigaCHip ... too expensive for a sub-class light in this category ... AND ... rechargeable only :D
bernie

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey phil, I got 2 ledlenser triplex lights on sale at Fry's Electronics a few months back for $10 each on sale.
Both were blue leds.
Then I swapped in the new Nichia cs500 leds into one and it is quite a performer now at 50-100 milliamps per led run off of 3 nimh N cells.
It even beats either of my 1 watt everleds in output.
But, even modded this way, I still gotta agree with Kiessling on his points.

The Dorcy Metal Gear 3x AAA is a fine light to have and a great one to modify later on if you have a Dremel and some technical electronics imagination. :naughty:

Also keep an eye out for the Costco 1 watt led heavy Aluminum AA lights that run fine on "normal" batteries.
These are often 2 for $24 and are fairly easy to swap in a brighter Luxeon led star later on if you want to.

TorchMan

Enlightened
This was also my first LED light (though I also purchased a keychain and gooseneck Coast as well). It's a flood beam, will not out toss a MiniMag. The batteries in mine drained way faster than expected. At first I could use it for work, but as it drained the light dimmed to the point that it was only good for use at home in the dark. And it didn't take long to reach that point.

Fresh N cells have revived it to it's former brightness. I do not like the recessed LEDs without a lens over them. Lint gets in real bad, and part of the reflector near the LEDs is tarnished or rusted. I'm not sure what to clean it with to remove that, if it's possible. I've only used dry Q tips.

The holster didn't hold up to my use very long, I wound up using the MiniMag holster instead. My included V2 holster broke on the belt loop in about a week or so, the Ripoff brand holster I carry my Gladius/U2 in is much more durable.

To direct answer the question, it's a fair light, battery drain not withstanding, but I don't think I'd buy one again.

Last edited: