Gerber CMG Infinity Ultra or Trio

George1

Newly Enlightened
REI has both lights on sale through the Labor Day Holiday. I am looking for feedback on these lights. Are they good lights? Should I buy one? If so, which one? Thank you.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Both are good! The IU is smaller but not an AAA. 1 AA powers it and a good walking task light. The 2AA Trio is brighter and handles a little better, for large handed me, as it is longer.
If I had to get one I'd go for the Ultra. But it really depends on what your needs are.
Hope that helps :)

paulr

Flashaholic
Note batterystation.com/cpf.htm has the ultra for $15 and Trio for $20 as sort-of-regular prices for cpf members. I'd get the Ultra (handier) even though it's not up to the quality level of the old CMG Ultras.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
Is that true?

I don't have the altered Gerber version of the Ultra, but have read that the walls with threading are too thin and the overall quality isn't quite as good, but still isn't bad (I have both versions of the Sonic and feel that this is the case in that light as well). I have owned several CMG versions of the Infinity Ultra and can say confidently that they are/were quite nice for the price. IMHO, twist heads are a bit easier to operate than tails.

Regarding the Trio- I have a red LED one and it's pretty intense. I'd be reluctant to get the white one since the LEDs are driven very hard (which white 5mm LEDs don't handle well and show a lot of blue).

Last edited:

clays

Newly Enlightened
I have both types of Infinity Ultras and while the old twist head type might be a tiny bit easier to use, I usually use both hands on either type to turn it on/off, so it doesn't really make much different to me. Either the old style or the new style is plenty rugged. Both can take a pounding. Both versions are some of the best examples of a bang-for-the-buck single cell long running bomb-proof pocket/neck-lanyard light for outdoors adventures. A new style tail-twist Gerber I.U. is probably my most used light that I own, at least up there with the Arc-AAA v4 in my pocket.

I know nothing about the Trio other than I'd probably pick an Arc-AAA or an Infinity Ultra over it.

prof

Enlightened
I have the infinity ultra and an LX 3.0. I'd recommend either one. The IU is perfect for most of my uses--checking on the kids at night, carrying in a pocket while going on long walks. The LX 3 is far brighter. Both use AA batteries, which is helpful.

I have not used the trio, but the IU is great.

NoShadow

Enlightened
JoeBob said:
I have one of the CountyComm Ultras with the HA III anodizing, and it is bulletproof.

I ,too, purchased several of the Infinity Ultra's from CountyComm and they are excellent lights as are the original CMG Infinity Ultra's. One tough little light.

The Trio is brighter than the Ultra in that it has three LED's and has been described as an Ultra on steroids. It is a rugged light with a nice finish. For ease of use, I find the Inf. Ultra more convenient all around but if you have the Trio, and back the tailcap just off from the on position, there is enough play in the threading you can use it as a "momentary on" light by pushing on the tailcap when a brief light is needed. This is handy at times. The size of the Trio may be too large for EDC if pocket carry is called for, but it is a pretty neat light by itself.

Last edited: