What's Your "PHILOSOPHY"?

UWAK

Enlightened
I know for some people money is not the issue to buying anything they like. And sometimes we just assume that the higher the price the best that is, and vice versa (it's probably true).

But in fact we also just keep buying cheap products... so do you have any arguments on why we just do that sort of thing?

This is just my curiosity cuz I only have 4 flashlights...

Frids

Mark2

Enlightened
Well, I must admit that I like to examine almost every flashlight, not just the most expensive and newest ones. When other people (friends, relatives etc.) pull out their "normal" flashlights, they have my attention. :) However, I really have no desire to own each and every flashlight, I guess I am not a collector. :thinking:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I will always consider the price the price of any item before making the decision to buy. And, it's almost more satisfying to find a less expensive item that performs well than to just lay out the bucks for the "best". But then I do proudly consider myself a cheapskate. I can't seem to operate differently, but that's how my parents were, too. My Achilles Heel is probably flashlights and other gadgets for under $20. Somehow I find a way to justify, to myself, the purchase.

Geoff

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't tend to buy "cheap" versions of anything.
I also don't tend to spend a long time hunting for the best deal.
I place great importance on service/support and my own ease of purchase.

For example, I buy R1 DVD's for £18.99 each because I can go into a shop on my way back from work and walk out with what I have purchased.
I could buy them online or whatever for perhaps £5-10 less but part of the price I pay is for the ability to walk out of the shop with the product. Additionally, the shopkeepers know me and my tastes - they will often guide me and even inspire my purchases.
On top of that I've once or twice been called on my cellphone because of a new title (or version of a title) they've just that minute managed to get hold of.

Another example is 5.11 clothing. I have purchased it online from the USA and had good results. However, I have recently tended to purchase from a UK Dealer when they have it in stock because next day delivery is included and sometimes I just don't want to, or can't wait.

I could purchase a bag of knock-off Photo Microlights and at the price they are it's like they're disposable once the batteries run out. However, since I often like to give these things away as gifts (along with Glowrings) I don't want to give somebody a cheap as dirt thing - I may not tell them how much a the real PhotonII is worth but I'd like to think they value the gift from me and therefore I should give them a gift worth valuing!

Sometimes there are some things that it would take too long to save up for the "expensive" version. For example: cars. I could save up for a new car but that would take me years. Instead, I got myself a cheap car that I could afford. That's more of a 'need' than a 'want' though.

I must be traditional in that I like to order by phone or better yet, in person.
I like to know what I'm purchasing is in stock and ready to ship. Otherwise I don't usually want to wait.

Most things worth buying are worth paying for. That's my "Philosophy" I guess.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure which question to answer: "what's your philosophy" or "why do we buy cheap stuff"

I'll answer both.

People buy cheap stuff for any of the following reasons (at least):

1. They believe the cheaper product represents a good value for the money. For example, I have a blacksmithing book in which the author tells us that he no longer buys premium american made metal files. Instead he buys lots of inexpensive chinese made files and just throws them out more often. The end result is a better cutting edge on the file being used for the same amount of money spent. Or how about 1.5 volt lithium AA cells? They last a lot longer in my digital camera or in my Arc LSH. No question. But the cost per minute of runtime goes up. So unless I was going to leave the light in my car as a backup, I would either just use alkys (or rechargeables.)

2. They just don't have the extra money to spare, even though the more expensive item would be a better value over the long haul.

3. There is no long haul and they just need the item for a single use, or for a short term.

4. They are uninformed and short-sighted, and do not understand that there is a difference worth paying for. They think that anyone spending more than $10 on a flashlight is simply getting ripped off (for example).

5. Their priorities are screwed up. This last one is one you'd maybe see in safety or life or death type situations, such as LEO's and flashlights. I'm told by reliable sources, that LEO's are remarkably unwilling to spend any kind of serious coin on thier flashlights or flashlight accessories. And yet, it would seem to me that a flashlight would be one of the most important tools in the LEO tool-kit. Seeing, or not seeing someone who's armed and dangerous, would have to be rather *ahem* damned important, right? Granted, as you go to higher and higher quality tools, the rate of return goes down, so that you are spending a LOT of money to get that last 10 percent. But even so, I would want the best no matter what the cost (within reason, of course).

As for my own personal philiosophy, I try to carefully weigh all the factors involved and then make the best decision. If it's something I will only use once in a while, I will be less likely to drop a lot of money, unless I really need a high quality tool in order to do the job. I absolutely HATE trying to do a task with a tool that is not suitable.

Like Al, however, I will not spend a lot of time bargain shopping for an item. Once I've determined that I want, for example, a SureFire L2, I will buy it from a dealer whom I know to be reputable and helpful, even if it costs me $10 or $20 more.

DarkLight

Enlightened
Generally for me a midline item gives the best bang for the buck...something a level or two under a products Top of the Line..

Generally just overpriced for having extra bells and whistles...

sometimes the whole line is premium however and best in class..

just depends on what you are buying...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
realy my life is simple i dont wanna ever get my head stuck in a empty watermelon again

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
One of my personal philoohies, apart from having more than enough flashlights to prepare for any eventuality, is never willingly paying more than neccessary for any item I buy.

I use ebay a lot, and other dealers that feature here on CPF. I'm in the UK, and you guys in the USA wouldn't believe th prices we are 'offered' by the retailers here. Generally, it's pound for dollar, but an extreme example I noticed recently was dealer in the UK selling a B90 battery for the Surefire 8AX for £34, which works out at around $62, now does that sound fair? I'm fortunate in that I'm in the military, and I can get a good price by dealing directly with the UK importers of Surefire (and other product lines), but sometimes, I find the internet even cheaper, and this includes the shipping from the USA.

nethiker

Enlightened
My enlightened philosophy is: The key to enjoying the finer things in life is finding something to enjoy you can afford.

For some, the best or most expensive xyz is not important regardless of how much money they have. Perhaps they rely more on a personal quality rather than relying on the quality of their tools/toys, I wouldn't know, because I tend to be attracted to the best.

I really appreciate private jets, fine automobiles, and luxury homes; but given my currrent cashflow, I seldom get to experience these up close. On the other hand, I get to use some of the finest illumination tools ever made on a regular basis. When I go out for a walk at night, I'm living large. When I pull out my light(s), I'm enjoying a quality and craftsmanship often beyond what the wealthiest of the upper-crusties are acustomed to.

So instead of saving years and years for a top of the line automobile, I save a couple of months for a top of the line flashlight. I get to experience the best of the best at a price I can afford. Is it excessive for me to spend 10 times more for a light than necessary to see in the dark? Perhaps, but it is a little eccentricity that I (and my wife) allows, a little spice to life that brings me joy.

Thankyou CPF and everyone here for a taste of the goodlife.