Peak: 1xLED vs 3xLED for EDC

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
For those of you that EDC a Peak Matterhorn, do you EDC the 1xLED or the 3xLED? Why did you choose to EDC one over the other? Please, this is not a thread to talk about other similar lights that one may or may not be better off EDC'ing instead.

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
The single led pocket version lives in my watch pocket next to an AG Russell carbon fiber folder. I don't like having to pull my keys out under conditions whereI really need a light, as I can be a bit clumsy, and there's always a sewer grate around just where you don't want one :shakehead

I've also found that I use the 'tail-stand' trick far more than I'd thought, and the single Ultra puts out plenty of light for my edc needs.

mckevin

Enlightened
3xLED ultra snow in my pocket. It lives in my coin pocket with a flash drive on the ring, oppoosite the "key" ring.
I'll probable get expelled from CPF for this statement, but I only carry one EDC (GASP!!) and I find this one works well for me whether I am peering inside a computer case or finding my way out to the trash cans at night...
It sees frequent, but not extended use, so battery life isn't at issue. I feed it AAA lithiums.

More than you asked, but there you go anyway. :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I guess you could say I EDC a Peak, at least while at home. It's an old style brass 3 LED high power snow. I like the throw, the tint, and the smooth uniform beam. There's not much flood, in fact less than an old Sonic or a covert Photon, but I kind of like that most of the time. It's very tempting to try a 1 LED Ultra.

Geoff

Furzork

Newly Enlightened
I got a chance to compare both. These had the latest Ultra Snow-29 LEDs. These LEDs are bright and white! The 1xLED has a wider flood beam than the 3xLED. The 3xLED has a smoother beam because of the three LEDs blending into a smooth hotspot. To my eyes, the 3xLED starts out a lot brighter and only becomes dimmer than the 1xLED after the six-hour mark. I would expect a lot of people to choose the 3xLED because of its brightness and still decent runtime. As for me, I ended up choosing the 1xLED to EDC because the excellent runtime (it can provide useable light from dusk to dawn) and the wider flood are more important to me. With the 1xLED I'm sure to have light anytime I need it. I find that it's bright enough for 90% of my needs. If I need more light, I just whip out my modded E2e with P61 lamp to light up that dark alley.

Bob_G

Enlightened
I don't have the single but I have a 3 LED Hi-Power and love it - I like the combination of runtime and output, and it's very "smooth." My other similar lights are the ARC4-P and McKinley Hi-Power (7xLED.) I rotate the two PEAKs and the ARC went to live on my girlfriends keychain. If I could only keep one, it would be the Matterhorn. They're both brass btw, and I don't know if it's luck of the draw or not, but they seem to have noticeably smoother threads than aluminum. The weight of the brass is actually a benefit in the Matterhorn to me.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I don't know if it's luck of the draw or not said:
Brass apparently has self lubricating properties that keep threads running smoothly without much outside help, unlike aluminum which builds up corrosion.

For me, the 1LED is ideal for the more floody beam (for throw I'll go to a luxeon light- keychain EDC is all about general area illumination), nicer runtime curve, and the simple fact that it's a bit shorter than the 3 LED model (size does matter ;) )

Hans

Enlightened
After some soul searching I went for the 1 LED. A bit more flood than the 3 LED, longer runtimes. A dealer over here had some of the "old" Peaks in stock and sold them at them at a pretty good price, so I got two of them. They're "Standard", not "Hi-Power". That's fine with me, because I've always got my HDS or my E1L in my pack anyway.

Hans

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 LED HO Snow29 for my EDC, I like the idea of having redundant LEDs if one blows (just because I'm paranoid does not mean the flashlights are not out to get me!) Nothing like 3 Snow29's throwing the photons on lithium AAA's. I don't have any single LED Peaks, maybe a spare single LED head would be good during power failures.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Peak 3 LED ss model as my KEYCHAIN light which means I always have it (or can't drive) with me. Its perfect for opening doors at nigh, finding locks, finding switches etc in really dark places where you need it most. The SS is holding up better than my previous brass and aluminum keychain light. The Peak is perfect in snow white for that duty. I have a HDS EDC in pocket most of time- It has more usful feartures as all purpose work light when higher brightness is required

Xeper

Newly Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:
3 LED HO Snow29 for my EDC, I like the idea of having redundant LEDs if one blows

That´s interesting. I don´t know, that 1 LED is still working if 1 or 2 blows.

Brock

Flashaholic
I also carry the 3 led. I like the bit of extra light and like the redundancy of three LED's, if there is any. But most importantly I liked the way the LED's are inset. In my line of work (dark theatres) side spill can be very distracting so the single was out of the picture right away. Although the newer version won't work for me either.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in this same spot a couple days ago. When I placed my order, I had figured I'd use the single because it offered a longer runtime. Because it is said with frequency to buy them both/all, I did. (I'd have bought the utra also but spending $200 in one week on various lights is a surefire way to raise red flags about non-essential spending.)

The single and 3 LED arrived today and after playing with them, I decided on the 3-LED for my keyring. As they say, order both and decide. :santa:

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock, RMSK still has some of the old stuff in stock. They moved them under "specials".

NoShadow

Enlightened
Brock said:
I also carry the 3 led. I like the bit of extra light and like the redundancy of three LED's, if there is any. But most importantly I liked the way the LED's are inset. In my line of work (dark theatres) side spill can be very distracting so the single was out of the picture right away. Although the newer version won't work for me either.

You may want to take a look at the Inova X1 for theater duty. With its focused spot light, there is little side light to distract. I think I would want to give it try if I was on TAD to a theater.

Moe

Newly Enlightened
Archangel said:
Brock, RMSK still has some of the old stuff in stock. They moved them under "specials".

Sorry, what exactly does RMSK stand for? :)

paulr

Flashaholic
3 led ultra snow, old version. I have several of the single led "high" versions but wasn't that crazy about them because of their dimness compared with the Arc AAA. My 3 led Ultra is quite a bit brighter than the Arc, at least in the beam center, and I like the snow color much better than the overdriven Nichia blue.