Replace LED in NEW model Infinity?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
How to replace LED in NEW model Infinity?

Someone mentioned a while back that it was easier to replace the LED in the new (rear twisty) model Gerber Infinity than in the old model - not surprising since it appears to be a pain to do it to the old model. Can anyone elaborate on what's required to do it for a new model? Does the head just twist off? Will rubber gloves do it or does it require boiling and a pair of pliers? Is it potted inside?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Nergineer, Robocop has a good thread on changing the LED in the new Infinity Ultra.

Prof, look for koala's "LUXI" thread, lots of info there. Darkzero also has a good thread on this same topic.

(Good luck searching!)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
(Good luck searching!)
AAWWWW!!!!!!!! At least the CPF search is working again. 1 result. Found GreenLED's post above.
greenLED said:
Robocop has a good thread on changing the LED in the new Infinity Ultra.
Did some slogging the hard way. Some info on the 6th post on this thread:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68501
Pictures on Robocop's mod here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74798

Cannot find Koala's LUX1 thread. Someone else may have better luck.

greenLED

Flashaholic
****, the search function is NOT working for me.

If you can make it work, it's "luxi" what I meant, not lux1. Both koala's and darkzero's threads are a mine-full of info about modding the Infinity.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old Infinity is pretty easy to disassemble as long as you're willing to destroy the innards and start fresh.
:)

I had the depth of the battery tube increased by about 1/16" and that allowed the room for a Sandwich Shoppe sandwich or an Ill Pill to drop right into the head.
Now it's flood only but it is much brighter.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
GreenLED - reading the old posts makes me want to mod the other stock infinities.. :)

If you are patient you will be able to salvage the electronics and reuse them. The cheapest solution to most bang per buck is to go for a Li-Ion direct drive TWOK. Otherwise the Grumpy Nichias is a good upgrade.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Thanks for dredging up those old links, I was having trouble searching! I want to put a Grumpy Nichia into an old blue Ultra I've been saving, learning from your experiences is going to help a lot with this first timer mod!
daloosh

greenLED

Flashaholic
koala said:
If you are patient you will be able to salvage the electronics and reuse them.

Yeah, don't follow GreenLED's example, or you'll end up with a bunch of dead boards and empty bodies :green: Well, at least until I get some MM+ boards and cram a reduced-height sammie in there ;)