How much can I overdrive this 1-Watter

bdl666

Newly Enlightened
I have a PX1J 1Watt on a Dorcy 1-watt 3aaa. And I was wondering how much I can push this thing? I'll be using the Dorcy body and a friend of mine is going to machine a new inner switch heat sink assembly for it. I'll replace the switch and take out the board and put a better switch on the soon to be made heat sink.

Last edited:

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to direct drive it (~1.2-1.4A) if the heatsink is exposed to the air. If you want it to be regulated, you should still exposed the heatsink to the air and use one of the many drivers available. Eg anlighten.com or taskled.com

LeDfLaShEr

Newly Enlightened
I hooked mine up to one cr123 just to see what happened....was dimmer than stock....so I hooked it up to two cr123's...seemed brighter but due to the poor connection between the top cell and the connector it was hard to test as it kept going out. Now I have it running with the stock pack with the resistor bypassed....seems brighter than stock....

Ultimately, it will be run with a 3W star and some other batteries....still figuring out what I want to do with it.

If I had any milling skill I'd run it off a single RCR123 and shorten the tube.....but I lack that skill so I'm still thinking of what to do with it.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
A p bin isn't much flux at all! So if you cook it, it's not a huge loss. The 1w's back in the day didn't make much extra light past an overdrive of 700-750ma. I don't know if they improved the thermal properties of them or not now...

I do know if it's on a star you should remove it from the star and put the emitter on a heatsink directly. I ran one on the star at 900ma and it cooked after only about 15hrs of use or less! probably 2hrs use in reality...