Hella officially Launches Automotive LED Headlamps this month

*Retired*
The prototype LED headlamp includes a dynamic cornering light that has no mechanical components. The lamp's LEDs are triggered electronically and scatter light with the aid of specially designed Cartoval plastic lenses, according to the company.

The cornering light is housed in the headlamp as a separate module in the lower part of the front bumper. Four Cartoval plastic lenses arranged next to one another are aligned in different directions, and different switch-on algorithms can be realized using electronic controls. Each of the four elements can be switched on or dimmed depending upon speed and steering angle.

The new LED headlamps being developed by Hella and Stanley are expected to provide light output equal to Xenon headlamps

http://wardsautoelectronics.com/news/hella_plans_launch/index.html

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully they'll also come with little defroster strips because LED lights sure aren't going to put out enough heat to keep the slush off your lights during an upstate NY winter! (Heck, halogens can't always do it).

I also wonder what will happen in fog as we all know the trick that white LEDs have of just illuminating the water vapor vs cutting through.

Don't get me wrong, it's exciting news on many levels...but I sure don't have my hopes too high at the outset.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't throw out those xenon foglamps yet ;)
And maybe keep a SF Beast or Thor handy to mount on your dash board...haha

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
zespectre said:
Hopefully they'll also come with little defroster strips because LED lights sure aren't going to put out enough heat to keep the slush off your lights during an upstate NY winter! (Heck, halogens can't always do it).

I also wonder what will happen in fog as we all know the trick that white LEDs have of just illuminating the water vapor vs cutting through.

Don't get me wrong, it's exciting news on many levels...but I sure don't have my hopes too high at the outset.

I hear that!!!