"Anyone have a flashlight?" she said

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night was back-to-school night for my town's high school parents. I had three unexpected opportunities to let my flaslights shine.

First, one wing of the building found itself without electricity. Parents walked into a dark class. The teacher asked, "Does anyone have flashlight?" I had my current EDC--a Wolf Eyes 9MX (3x123A, 45mm head, 135 lumens) in my back pocket, so I whipped it out. :) We tried to use it in candle mode, but the tactical tailcap kept it from standing on its tail. So we leaned it against some books aimed and it at the ceiling. I was going to leave her the light, together with my 3 spare 123A cells, to use the rest of the evening. But the lights came on.

Next, I handed out $1 LED microlights from Countrycomm to two small kids whose parents had dragged them along. They were delighted. These are the new design, with a sliding switch that can stay on; no need to keep it depressed with a finger or thumb.

When parents' night ended, hundreds of parents and their kids walked back to their cars in a parking lot that was completely unlit. I noticed one of the two small kids lighting her family's path with her new squeezie. When she was out of sight, I held my Wolf Eyes aloft and illuminated for those in front of me so that exiting drivers could see them.

I had been feeling a bit ridiculous EDCing such a large light. Until last night.

WDR65

Enlightened
I've just started back to carrying a 3 cell lithium light for edc or at least when I'm out at night around town. Its amazing how much more output they have even though they're not really a whole lot bigger than the 2 cell models. Keychain lights are nice and my Dorcy AAA comes in handy, but there's something to be said for having a small spotlight in your pocket.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
If I had the Surefire M6 that I want oneday, I'd probably carry that occasionally, but until then, my current 'pet' flashlight is a Surefire C2 with M2 bezel and SW02 on the rear. I keep the standard lamp, so I get an hours burn time, but I also have my M3, or Z3 with 200 lumens if I need more light at a cost of shorter burn.

DIY_M2.jpg

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
My e1l is always on me. I use it to look into dark classrooms. A few days ago a girl had the nerve to beam me with her little ~2mW red laser in Physics class. My e1l was out of my pocket before she new it and aimed at her face... She put the laser away.. I havent seen it since.. :)

-tom

greenLED

Flashaholic
WDR65 said:
Its amazing how much more output they have even though they're not really a whole lot bigger than the 2 cell models.

Exactly my thoughts. I used to favor 2-cell lights, but after using my Pila GL3 for a while, I don't really see the "difference" in size and I am getting much more output.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I loved the story about the little girl lighting her family's path to the car in a dark parking lot. Better watch out, I think flashaholism can be contagious!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Paul_in_Maryland said:
I was going to leave her the light, together with my 3 spare 123A cells, to use the rest of the evening. But the lights came on.

Very nice, you EDCed spare Batts!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

I always carry atleast one set of spare batts for my scanner(s) when I'm mobile.

I have a 12 pack of 123's in my glovebox at ALL times!!! :rock:

-PSM

h_nu

Enlightened
Oh thanks! Now I have to start looking at 3 cell lights. Thought I might be able to pass on the opportunity to acquire another light this month. ;)

Geogecko

Enlightened
PoliceScannerMan said:
Very nice, you EDCed spare Batts!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

I always carry atleast one set of spare batts for my scanner(s) when I'm mobile.

I have a 12 pack of 123's in my glovebox at ALL times!!! :rock:

-PSM

Interesting. Is this safe? I had a couple of 123's in my truck, and then took them out at the beginning of summer, because I wasn't sure they could take the heat without exploding. Well, I noticed that the battery station 123's have a heat rating of 100C, which that temperature should never be reached in a car, even in Texas, am I right? I put them back in, after reading that...

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoliceScannerMan said:
Very nice, you EDCed spare Batts!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:pSM
Yes--not just in case I need more runtime, but in case the light turned on in my pocket or pouch and the cells inside it are now dead.

I carry the spares in a Countrycomm transluscent case designed to hold 4 AA or 4 123A cells. The cases come in colors in case you want to put depleted cells in red and "good" cells in green. Since I'm not using rechargeables, I just use a white case and discard cells when they're depleted.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonWrangler said:
I loved the story about the little girl lighting her family's path to the car in a dark parking lot. Better watch out, I think flashaholism can be contagious!
She would have been more delighted with the 1AA lights that I used to hand out. But those cost me $5 each. At $1 apiece, the little microlights can be handed out much more freely. They also come in red, green, and blue LEDs, same price (20 for $20).

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm BACK as PBJS! Thanks Empath!

I forgot one light in my '03 Ram 2500... my SL Stinger. It kind of floats around just now as I can't DREAM of drilling holes and mounting the charger!!!

So that makes: Stinger, Maxfire w/P60, TT3AA with Liths, and Clipmate with Liths. And the Clipmate gets more use than any other except my EDC Lambda LUXIII.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cornkid said:
My e1l is always on me. I use it to look into dark classrooms. A few days ago a girl had the nerve to beam me with her little ~2mW red laser in Physics class. My e1l was out of my pocket before she new it and aimed at her face... She put the laser away.. I havent seen it since.. :)

-tom

We be flash aholics, but we seem to have forgotten romance.

danielo_d

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I'm BACK as PBJS! Thanks Empath!

Wow, Empath, you've got superpowers!

You turned him into a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich!!!
hairysmile3.gif

Danno.

C4LED

Enlightened
Cornkid said:

-tom

Sounds like she wanted some attention. You should have just asked her out instead.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Danintex said:
Nah, she would have beamed you across the table anyway. Besides, do you really want to take the chance of liking her? :)

Let's see, would a CPF member like to date a woman that carries a light producing device in her pocket ? hmm - that is a tough one.