WHAT TO BUY???

jpfaff

Newly Enlightened
I recently came across CPF and I am now hooked. I'm currently looking for a EDC that can fit easily into my pocket yet provide ample lighting at a minutes notice. As, I get more into it I would like the ability for mods. Everyone seems to like the Arc, and or peak line? I don't want to go bankrupt, such as a EDC brand would do, but I wouldn't want a hunk of junk either. If anyone can help me or know where I can purchase a used one I would be forever in your debt.

Thanx, Jason

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason- First off, it is important to figure out exactly what you are looking for. The Arc AAA, while very small and tough, is still a keychain light with a single 5mm LED. It's perfectly good for the majority of times you will need light, especially indoors, but you won't be spotting anything at 50 feet away with it.

Obviously, more light=more power needed to work, so most Luxeon lights are either larger or have much shorter runtime (or both). There are an number of good quality Luxeon lights available for between $30-$100. These will lights will have far more powerful output but most are just large enough that you will notice them in your pocket.

A few of my suggestions for this latter category (note that there are incandecent options as well, but I prefer LEDs): Fenix L1P (uses a AA battery which is nice so you don't have to buy CR123's on line), Inova T1, Nuwai QIII.

This is a good site for getting accquainted with some of the better options:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html

Last edited:

jpfaff

Newly Enlightened
Basically, I want something that fits easily on a keyring or in my pocket, as I am a gadget man. So, my pockets are full of stuff, ranging from a fischer sp*ce pen to le*therm*n micra. I want enough light to illuminate a car door lock or a pathway through the woods. Dependability, and the possibility of upgrades as money comes available. I'm also a carmen on the railroad and work third shift any idea for a good lantern , cheap and good lighting, that would make my job easier. We our provided stock lanterns that provide undesirable lighting and there 6volt batteries lack something to be desired.

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

OK, since I am new to the forums too, I have a question about LED vs. incad lights. What makes the LEDs more popular right now? Longlife of bulb, better effecienceies, regulated light output, color of light... What is it for people?

I have a few lights that I consider worthy of mentioning here, but all four are SL lights. I do have many Photons, and they are getting better each time I buy one.

Thanks guys for your guidence.

Rob

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Even a keychain $1 LED squeeze light can illuminate well enough to navigate in and out of a car and a few things but a pathway through the woods may require considerably more light if it is not pitch dark a lot of 5mm LED lights can get *lost* in the background lights. You may have to go with a luxeon based light if you want a light to use to walk by on dangerous uncharted territory.

As for the lantern, unless you need a extra sturdy one there are plenty of fluorescent lanterns out there. If you are going to use it in cold weather you may have to look into the luxeon LED based versions as fluorescent lanterns can have difficulty below about 50 degrees at times. If you get free batteries choose one that can use them or one that you will buy rechargable batteries for.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If an AAA light is your thing and you want good output, use lithium AAA batteries. Peak Matterhorn Ultra 3 LED Snow 29 or Arc AAA-P work well.

Since you carry a Micra, this leads me to believe a CR123A light would not be too dusturbing. Nuwai Q3, Peak Carribbean or Inova T1 would work. If you want multiple output levels to find the lock without blinding you, get an HDS Basic 60. The cost for the above lights are $35 or so (Q3) $100 (Peak) to $160 (HDS)

If you would prefer a single AA light, a Fenix L1 or Peak Kino Bay both run on AA. Use a NiMH for the Kino Bay for 2 hours of light. The big question is how much do you want to spend?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I would go for the gusto!!
Go on over the the McGizmo forum and read up on the incredible McLuxIIIPD.
just buy it. If you can find one used so much the better.
If you are going to get into somthing then it might just as well be the best you can get. Skip all the plastic do dads, aluminum wanna-be and the weak AAA's and do yourself a favor, Buy a McluxIIIPD. It has hi and low, twist on or push on, it stands on it's tail and it has a totally unique design. Hand assembled and tested to order by one guy.
Just do it.
Yaesumofo:devil:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
crewcabrob- all of the things you mentioned make LEDs more popular. Also the fact that they are solid state so even signifcant impacts wont hurt them, and that they basically never need to be replaced given the typical usage of a flashlight. Additionally, the color stays basically uniform even as voltage drops, rather than redding out toward infrared as incans do. Incans still offer the advantages of generally being an initially cheaper investment and providing warmer light which can cut through background light more effectively than an LED. LEDs are rapidly evolving though, so expect them to rise in efficiency and lower in cost as time goes on.

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much for the reply. I had not thought about the light color staying constant, so it was great to see your response.

So what is the brightest LED light on the market with long run time? In the league with the SF U2 as far as output.

Thanks again,

Rob

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
jpfaff,

Have you thought about the Surefire E1e? Alot of light in a small form and would be good for what you wanted to use it for. I just had one delivered to my father in law for his 80th birthday as he likes useful things that he can carry in his pockets. He sent an e mail saying he loves it! A little pricey but worth it. As for mods, there is alot you can do with them. Mine got modded into a TW4. (KL4 head and two stage cap)