Live blog from New Orleans

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I stumbled on this which started 4:20AM, monday. The guy's hold up in a data center in a high rise with several folks and running on a generator. A little snippet from 9:19PM, wednesday:

"I am not giving specifics about the number of people here or our supplies or our weapons/ammo status or any other sensitive info like that which could pose a security risk. At this point, I think it's safer this way."

Very interesting read!

Larry

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having worked in those before, I can say that data centers are good places to ride out a crisis. They're secure, well.. out here in the rest of the world we don't have the right to bear and keep, over there it would be a bit better in that department.

Main thing is, in order to protect the hardware they have 24x7 power, HVAC, and redundant systems to ensure all of those keep running. One place I was at had enough fuel for our gas turbines for a week and 4 hours of battery power to give us time to start them. And on top of that they're communications centers, although those may be disrupted, hopefully redundant systems will keep them going (this is part of my job, to ensure high availability when TSHTF). All behind locked doors.

Stockpile food and water and there you have it. In fact, when the Y2K crisis was somewhat more real, we joked that the office would be the safest place if everything fell apart. Not so much of a joke now, in hindsight we would have been right. Thankfully, Y2K was more technological hallucinations than anything else. We sat through it and nothing happened. Then we went out and got drunk.. :D

I gotta hand it to those brave folks at DirectNIC staying back in the line of fire. Because my job scope sure as heck doesn't involve staying behind in the face of total annihilation..

Latest posts