Thread on Aluminum light wears out fast?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
How fast does the thread of Aluminum lights wear out? I am referring brand name lights such as SF LED , Gladius, PM6, Nuwai etc?

What kind of lube do you guys use on the thread?

knifebright

Enlightened
I'll let you know the answer as soon as i get to the center of this darn tootie pop.

no seriously i like to use Craigs lab De-oxit on the metal contact treads and i picked up some 95percent pure silicon from a plummers shop for the o-rings.

jimmy

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me it feels like the skinniest tubes (AAA) experience more wear than something sized for 123 batts. A brass or aluminum AAA flashlight might experience significant wear at some point, I think.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I appreciate concerns about this subject as I've often ponderd this as well. However, I've come to the conclusion that metal flashlights of any make and material are 'probably' better at resisting wear (if properly lubricated) than comparable plastic threads. By the time you have worn out a metal thread to the point that it doesn't do it's job then the flaslight would probably be obselete anyway. I mean my oldest Maglight is twenty years old and had nothing but vasaline lubing the threads for most of its life and there is no appreciable signs of wear on the threads now.

Doug

greenLED

Flashaholic
What Doug said. It's not like were' using the threads to grind corn meal or something. :nana:

Cymro

Newly Enlightened
I was a bouncer for eight years, and we used and abused our maglights constantly. My oldest light's about eight years old, and there's no sign of wear on the threads.

My .02

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, I was worried that my light will wear out in 1yr. thanks for your info. I can rest easy now.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It totally depends on the quality of the light my opinion says. As others say, my Mags have very little wear after even many years of use. I've also NEVER had trouble with Surefire threads.

Many of my Chinese made lights are already showing lots of wear in the threads, even ones well under a year old. If threads are made roughly with sharp edges and nicks, they tend to wear much faster my experience says.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
My surefires thread has HAIII on it and not bare aluminium. I guess it will last a very long time with proper lubricant.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
koala said:
My surefires thread has HAIII on it and not bare aluminium. I guess it will last a very long time with proper lubricant.

not all surefire had their threads HA. For example, my C3's body's threads near the tailcap

balazer

Enlightened
It really depends how hard the aluminum is. I have lights made with very soft aluminum.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
balazer said:
It really depends how hard the aluminum is. I have lights made with very soft aluminum.

hmmm... then i guess surefire's aerospace graded aluminum should be able to withstand it. Most Downhill bicycles are made up of aerospace grade aluminum and those bikes can take crazy drops like about 8 meters! Definately good!

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my mag light for about 15 years or so, the threads are still fine,
the threads on all my Blasters are in great nick, they get used all the time.
A couple of years ago I bought a cheap chinese 2AA Mag copy, the twisty head
thread only lasted a week before it was stripped completely, It all depends on
the finish of the thread and the quality of the Aluminum used