Suggestions for trip to ground zero/katrina

turbodog

Flashaholic
As I posted earlier, a friend has gone to pascagoula, MS to volunteer. He's coming back tomorrow, but he will be returning there next week or weekend for another stint, and I will be going with him.

I'm trying to figure out what to take with me. I figure space will be at a premium so I have decided to try and make everything (except tent/chair) fit into a pelican 1610 case (24"x19"x11" outside dimensions). I figure it is: waterproof, lockable, and indestructible. Mine is also a special run from pelican and is BRIGHT yellow so hopefully I will notice it if someone tries to steal it.

Here's the list I have so far:

pelican case with lock and cable to lock it to a tree/etc

gallon ziploc bags
paper towels
cigarette lighter

tent
sleep bag
pillow
chair

shoes
socks
pants
shorts
shirts
wide brimmed hat
baseball hat
bandanna
gloves
belt

basic medical kit
toiletry items
off bug spray
sunscreen
toilet paper
towel
bathcloth
hand soap
sunglasses

small battery fan to sleep by

hds light
uk 4aa eled w/ lithium aa
a2 w/ spares carrier
L4
1 set extra batts for all lights

cell phone
dc cell charger
ac cell charger

ruger .40 semi auto
box of shells

camelbak

dominoes (the game, you know)
deck of cards
camera w/ extra film

swisstool w/ belt sheath
roll of electrical tape

drivers license
cash
visa card
amex card
no wallet, just the bare items

Food will be provided, but we may carry extra with us. Water will be provided. Showers are likely not available. Electricity is likely not available, or it will be sporadic.

We will be spending days cooking and distributing food and unloading 18 wheelers of supplies. I have no idea what will happen at night.

Wish us luck. Assuming I have the stomach and time to take photos, I will post them here assuming they are appropriate.

Maybe I'll get some good feedback from people who have operated in areas such as this.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
a way to make surte ya have freash water and duct tape and extra tarp .im no expert good luck and be safe insect repelnet i like deet based

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
:thumbsup: turbo! It looks like you are majorly prepared! Help as many as you can! :thumbsup:

Larry

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've become a convert to the new Cutter "advanced" bug spray. It's got something new in it, not deet and it doesn't smell so strongly. With the mosquitoes and gnats around here it works as well or better. But then, this is not the time to experiment with something new, but if you see some pick it up. The insects in the area are going to be out of control with all the standing water.

Stay safe, stay hydrated, if you make yourself sick you're going to be using up resources they dont have.

Good luck, you're doing a good thing.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If fresh water is available, I'd also pack one of those plastic containers that when empty, fold up flat. and unfold to hold a extra gallon of water.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Baby wipes and facial astringent for a field bath. (prbly. already inc. in your toiletries)

Back-up blade w/combo or full serrated edge.

Rope.

Compass.

Grace of God (already included)

X33

Enlightened
What about rubber boots? Wellingtons I think they call them over here. For when you gotta wade through some of that filthy water? Or those waders, that the fly fishers wear?
Waterproof clothing?
Good luck on your trip. Looks like your well prepared.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Face masks like the ones that County Comm has keep the smell at bay and keep debris out of your nose and lungs. Otherwise see if the local hardware store or pharmacy have something that would work. Protective glasses or goggles also help if you're clearing debris. Might take an extra pair of gloves; use one dry one, swap as needed.

Any chance of a small solar panel to recharge batteries? Colman and Brunton both have inexpensive ones.

Good luck and be safe.

-LT

paulr

Flashaholic
Leave all the expensive and exotic stuff (HDS and Surefire lights) at home. Just take cheap, common stuff. UK 4AA eLED is good. Add a PT Surge or the like if you need something brighter. Some FRS radios might be a useful addition, and maybe a small GPS and some local topo maps in case you get lost. Also your cell phone, I don't remember if you listed one. Cellular service is being restored rapidly due to cells on wheels (truck mounted base stations) being deployed there.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
I don't see water purification equipment and/or chemicals in your list.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few more suggestions,

Cable ties (zip ties) Those things hold the world together when it is falling apart. Get the ones in black as they are Mil-Spec and handle more weight and don't degrade in the sun. Get a large bag (1000) of those things, stainless steel ones are even better but need to be ordered.

Nylon cord (550 cord) You name it, there a thousands of uses for it.

Backup knife Standard blade/serrated mix make it around a 3.5" (90mm) blade to handle large jobs of cutting away things.

$1 each Countycomm keychain lights These are givaways so your standard lights will not "walk away". Since you are at the site, a 2AA shortwave/AM/FM digital alarm clock, LED light for $22 makes life a lot easier. With two lithium AA batteries, it will last well over 100 hours and is very small and lightweight.

Knife sharpener You would be amazed the amount of dull knives because this little device was not thought of.

50 foot 14 gauge 3 conductor extension cord with spare male/female outlet plug ends to create shorter cables if needed.

Tripp Lite Isobar multioutlet surge/EMI/RFI suppressor strip. When you plug it in, it will give an LED indication if the electricity is wired correctly. They are made out of aluminum channel for toughness and the outlets are real wall outlet type construction. No flimsy stamped metal stuff so it will work now and 15 years from now. Has a curcuit breaker with a backup fuse inside in case the breaker freezes up. Clamps incoming voltage to 138V peak to prevent any equipment damage from surges, lightning or bad wiring. They have brackets built in to hang it off screws or be tied up out of the way of people or water.

A lanyard to hold his keys, single AAA LED light or identification.

Hope that helps

Makarov

Enlightened
Looks like you got most of it covered, but my advice is to bring some earplugs to use when you are sleeping.
I doesn't sound like you are going on some extreme survival trip, so I guess you'll be sleeping in a safe and busy area.
By using earplugs you can get a good nights sleep even though there's activity around you.
If you are sensitive to light when sleeping bring a pair of airline sleeping"goggles" as well.

And as Icebreak said, lots and lots of babywipes or some hygenic equivalent for personal hygene.

Keep safe and good luck.

Last edited:

Goran

Newly Enlightened
Don't know the situation in the filed where you are going so just a wild shot:

Maybe some water purifying tablets (Suppose a purifier would be too big to take)?

An emergency blanket (don't know if there is another name in English we call it astrofolija = astrofoil) unless there could be no cold problems there?

Some appropriate field waterproof clothing if it is not provided or just a rain poncho?

Well I wouldn't take the chair probably:D
Not sure about the credit card, will that be of any use besides another thing that can be lost? A small concealed and waterproof if possible bag for under the clothes (around the neck but I like more those in a sidewise fashion, under the arm)for the documents, credit cards and cash?

Good luck

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Those foil sheets are called mylar blankets or space blankets and they're way overrated. A thermarest pad is very nice for comfort under your sleeping bag though.

You might check out this equipped.org thread from a guy deployed on a Red Cross vehicle there.

Goran

Newly Enlightened
paulr said:
Those foil sheets are called mylar blankets or space blankets and they're way overrated. A thermarest pad is very nice for comfort under your sleeping bag though.
Self inflating pads are nice. As for the space blanket I don't see an alternative. It's not something for regular use but an emergency thing that can be always with you with that pocket size when packed.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Turbo,
Good list.
Let me add three things that will make you a hero because there is never enough. Warning: Swallow your pride

Cheap kitchen size trash bags. a bunch of boxes. Leave the actual boxes at home, just take the bags. The rolls of 100 are the easiest. Can be used for everything from trash to a rain jacket to very personal use.
Toilet Paper, as much as you can carry
Tampons, probably harder to get down there than toilet paper.

Treff

Newly Enlightened
I use 2 gallon and those new large Ziploc bags to pack anything I wish to keep dry. I also pack a small volume of powdered laundry detergent to create my own "washing machine" in the Ziploc bag.

For what its worth I've posted my DMAT packing list:

Worn:
□ Pants
□ Shirt
□ Socks
□ Underwear
□ Belt
□ Boots or tennis shoes
□ Watch
□ Sunglasses
□ Chap stick
□ Cell phone
□ Wallet
□ ID; Driver's license
□ ID; NDMS/FEMA
□ RCP license
□ Cash
□ Credit card
□ House/car keys

Duffel:
□ Team T-shirts (4)
□ T-shirts
□ Long sleeve shirts (seasonal)
□ Fleece jacket (seasonal)
□ Socks (5)
□ Swim shorts
□ Underwear (6)
□ Shorts (1)
□ Jeans (1)
□ Cap
□ Belt
□ Shower sandals
□ Tennis shoes
□ Towel (2)
□ Toothbrush
□ Deodorant
□ Shaver/razor
□ Mirror
□ Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap
□ (Shaving cream)
□ (Shampoo)
□ Butt Wipes
□ Lotion, hand
□ Tissues
□ Nail clipper
□ Nalgene bottle(s)
□ Medications:
Imodium
Pepcid
Butt balm
Patanol drops
Benadryl
□ Laundry detergent
□ Foot powder
□ Toilet Paper
□ Safety pins
□ Compass
□ Light sticks
□ Flashlight, MiniMag
□ Batteries, AA, AAA alkaline/lithium
□ Trauma scissors
□ Leatherman tool
□ Knife
□ Marmot jacket
□ Mosquito netting
□ Plastic bags, heavy duty
□ Sleeping bag
□ Pillow

Daypack/Carry-On (Camelbak BFM):
□ BDU pant
□ BDU shirt
□ T shirt
□ Underwear (2pr)
□ Socks (2pr)
□ Boonie hat
□ Meds: (3days)
□ Towel (1)
□ Tooth floss
□ Butt Wipes
□ Hydrastorm
□ Nalgene bottle/Duck tape
□ Spoon/Fork
□ Sunglasses (2pr)
□ Eye protection (yellow/clear)
□ Eye shield (sleep)
□ Insect repellent, lotion
□ Sunscreen
□ Pad & pen
□ Leather gloves
□ N-100/95 mask
□ First aid kit
□ Stethoscope
□ Nylon cord, 50ft
□ Matches
□ Ear plugs
□ Snacks
□ Food, MRE (2)
□ Mobile AC/DC charger
□ Headlight/Batteries
□ Plastic bags 40 gal &
2 gal ziploc
□ Emergency blanket
□ Reading glasses (2pr)
□ Hydrastorm mouthpeice

IMPORTANT:

Required (per CDC) immunizations:

1. Tetanus and diphtheria toxoid (receipt of primary series, and Td booster within 10 years)
2. Hepatitis B vaccine series for persons who will be performing direct patient care or otherwise expected to have contact with bodily fluids (this is a 3 shot series ehich must be started months ago. Its not as much an issue if your not exposted to body fluids)

There is no indication for the following vaccines given the anticipated conditions in the region:

1. Hepatitis A

2. Typhoid vaccine

3. Cholera vaccine

4. Meningococcal vaccine

5. Rabies vaccine

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/responderimmun.asp

Last edited: