Pelican M6 - emitter replaceable?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the emitter (or even better - star) on Pelican's M6 LED is upgradeable?

Jon

pilot4x4

Enlightened
Yes they are replaceable. Someone on here posted that they'd sent their light to Japan for a replacement / upgrade. I can't remember who it was and the search feature on here is not working right so I can't find it. I believe they called the light a super bird after the mod. John

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
pilot4x4 said:
Yes they are replaceable. Someone on here posted that they'd sent their light to Japan for a replacement / upgrade. I can't remember who it was and the search feature on here is not working right so I can't find it. I believe they called the light a super bird after the mod. John

I inquired about it.
It's a $160 mod.
Makes quite the difference but the stock M6 3W is very bright already.
I believe me thread title was "Pelican M6 Differences" .

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SuperBird mod is in the definitely serious, much more reliable light with an awesome oversized heat sink machined in the body, a separate reflector to make the light focus and a more expensive converter with an overachieving Lux III emitter. The SuperBird is in a brighter and more expensive category. As far as I know only two of the SuperBird mods exist. If you want something brighter that runs a longer time than a Pelican Lux I or the BatteryStation Pelican Lux III then look at the serious ARC mania/Katokichi Pelican HA 'SuperBird' mod . The mod is not the cheapest but for the price the SuperBird light beats up the Pelican Lux I and III. It is a rocket powered Pelican. Yes, a Pelican can now fly. Yeeee-haw!

I think this is more than you are looking for. You just want a simple emitter change, right?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, $160 is pretty high. I'd be starting with a UYOK and would want to install a UYOK emitter.

McModule? Do they fit the current PM6's?

Jon

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
McModule was a Lux V not a Lux III. It was also a separate reflector and module setup. The new lights are unified I believe.

-LT

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
how much is a mcmodule? it makes it more floody right?

-David

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McModule was a screw-in replacement for the original lamp assembly - back when the M6 was focusable. The new lamp assemblies do not screw in AFAIK and are probably not compatible with the McModule.

I'd like to take a PM6 HA and replace the emitter with a "U" bin and put in a more efficient buck circuit. It sounds like this will require custom maching and a custom module - so it probably won't happen.

:awman:

Jon

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeap, there seem to be a number of "U" Lux3 and "W" LuxV sources right now. :)

Again, my goal was to drop a UYOK into a PM6 HA with either a DB1000 or FluPic board.

Without extensive machining the PM6 HA just isn't a good candidate.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
ckcanon said:
Why wouldn't you just buy a PM6 Incan (cheap) and use the module shown here:

http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/technical/assembly_help/pm6/index.htm

That way you would have a switchable light. The head of my PM6 incan is threaded but the light module is not - it just drops out when you unscrew the lens. Just wondering:thinking:

First, the only HA PM6 is the Luxeon version that BatteryStation.com sells.

Second, I don't believe those modules (McModule, that is) work with new M6's that have reflectors integral with the lamp assembly. Something about them no longer having any threading or something. If I'm wrong (somebody please tell me I am!) then that's cool. I built a LuxV McModule a long time ago but gave the light away.

Jon

Last edited: