Europe ATEX approved Streamlight Propolymers

icebeng

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight got ATEX approval for some of their lights in Europe some time ago.
The pictures on their website shows the Propolymer Xenon and LED in red bodies,
I was wondering if any UK or european members here have seen them for sale yet?
Also, I'd like to ask if it's possible to take the body of a Xenon or LED 4AA and use it on a 4AA Luxeon instead?

shooter08

Newly Enlightened
Yes you can retrofit the lux module to the new model the one with the clicky
switch. You also need the lux bezel as it is longer than the 7 led and
incandescent bezels.

icebeng

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks!
I hadn't expected any replies after so long.
Thanks again for letting me know.

Hasn't any of our european friends seen any Streamlight Propolymers in red or orange?

CELICA XX

Newly Enlightened
Are these red Propolymer ATEX lights basically the same as the normal yellow model ?

The specifications are identical on the Streamlight web site.

I wouldn't mind having a red 3C LED Propolymer...

Size15's

Flashaholic
Note that modification [by swapping the lamp assembly etc] of any ATEX certified device will void its certification and as such will make it 'illegal' to use it in a designated Potentially Explosive Atmosphere.

The purpose of the ATEX certification is to ensure the safety of workers - a requirement of the "Use Directive" of the EU.

If you are intending use an ATEX certified product as an item of work equipment I strongly urge you not to modify it.

Of course if you're purchasing the product with no intention of relying on it in a Potentially Explosive Atmosphere and can ensure that nobody who requires such a product has access to yours then modify to your hearts content at your own risk.

Al :)

P.S.
I'm on my high horse because ATEX certified devices are intended to be used as work tools in high-risk environments where product failure can cost lives and infrastructure. I want to ensure that ATEX certified devices are given the respect they deserve and that people modifying them understand the consequences if they are not careful.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a real good point. And in the workplace, I would guess that one might make the presumption of it being ATEX certified solely on the basis of appearance (the red body) and that there may not be anyone on-site who may know the difference (hence the danger?)

Size15's said:
I'm on my high horse because ATEX certified devices are intended to be used as work tools in high-risk environments where product failure can cost lives and infrastructure. I want to ensure that ATEX certified devices are given the respect they deserve and that people modifying them understand the consequences if they are not careful.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Note that in the case of Pelican their ATEX Zone 1 certified models contain additional safety features even though the models look the same. This may also be the case for Streamlight.