Comparison of Mag with 3xLuxIII...

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
...and 3xIMS s020XA reflectors to a mag with a single 120lm 5 Watt Luxeon...

Hi folks,

does anyone has already done some comparison beamshots between the lights above or beamshots alone?
I am interested in building my own "minetrois" but before running to the shop I wanted to ask you if such a light is a good thrower or if it provides more a flood beam?
In with configuration would you built such a light if you still want to use D or c- cells?

Thanks in advance

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming the LuxIII are 60lms. 60 x 3 =180 lms. Compare that with a 'standard' 120 lms LuxV.... the result is obvious as far as amount of light is concern.

With regards to throw in a M@g reflector, LuxIII wins hands down. However, your 3 LuxIII's will only be using small IMS reflectors. The overall throw will *only* be a bit better (~20%) than a LuxV in a M@g reflector.

The 3 LuxIIIs will have a better flood than the LuxV despite the small IMS.

WRT hosts, I'd use C for carry-bility and D for run time.

H

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found that my tri-lux setup throws just almost as far as a single lux3 setup. Far enought that the extra reach you miss isn't that important unless you couldn't walk closer to what you were lighting. I can see the tops of trees clearly from way far away wiht my tri-light. And you see everything with the wide beam. It's really nice. The whole woods will light up and far enough away will be bright to see where you need to go.

As far as batteries, 3D mag would be good with NiMH DD for ~3.5 hours if each emitter is driven at a full amp. ~1.5hours for 3C NiMH DD. I have a 2D mag with 3C NiMH 5ahr cells in it. Use bin Vf of "k" if DD'ing with NiMH.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both setups. The Minetrois seems to equal the throw of the FlexMag-V because of the extra lumen output. The FlexMag will run 2~3 times longer on high though. I use 8AA to 2D adapters. Actually, My FlexMag is a 'W' bin so its still pretty bright.

I think you will be most pleases with the Minetrois if an hour runtime is fine for you. Mine has a dimmer switch in case I want to stretch the runtime out a for a while.

Jeff

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much! I think I have to build one-- even for the joy of modding.
@IsaacHayes:
are the 3.5 hrs runtime with the NiMh DD setup at full brightness or getting already darker?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH has a very flat discharge curve so it will be close to full brightness for most of the run. this is using 11,000mah NiMH. 11amphr/3amp draw = 3.6 hrs. Also taskled now has a direct drive dimming circuit, that you can use to have the same functionallity as a lionheart in your mag. So you could get increased runtime with that too when you dim it down...

I might put one of those in my mag. But I'm thinking a tri-K2 setup with that circuit... high would pull a total of 4.5 amps!! :D

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tri-Lux_comparisons.jpg

* image courtesy of TrueBlue

Here's a visual comparison performed by TrueBlue. Note the LuxV is V-bin and the 3xLuxIII are TW0Js.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Note the LuxV is V-bin and the 3xLuxIII are TW0Js.

So, this is not really a "LuxIIIx3 vs LuxV" issue; the outcome may depend upon the bins used? I was ready to cheer for the LuxIIIx3.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost anything related to Luxeon will come down to the bin issue.

Here's my 2c regarding the topic.
Dollar for $$$ the 3xLuxIII will outshine a 1xLuxV.
LuxIII will have greater reliability vs LuxV.
3xLuxIII will provide more overall light for the same $$$.
Downside it's 3xLuxIII instead of 1xLuxV

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
another upside is instead of 123's or a ton of AA's, the tri-luxIII can run on 3 cells. D/C's. Alks or NiMH!

Turbo_E

Enlightened
i love my tri lux max. i wont use anything else. the dimmer option is the fantastic (originally I thought "who'd want a dimmer light?") the dimmer streches the useable time to almost double.

I use my Mag to light my room for 5+ hours at full power. after that i went to bed. This is on 2 Ni-Mh D cells (10,000 mAh each)

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a S-bin tri-lux mag and a W-bin Single-lux Mag... wanna side by side?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
nemul said:
i have a S-bin tri-lux mag and a W-bin Single-lux Mag... wanna side by side?
Yes! I just noticed this thread and now I want to build one of these. :)

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone tell me if this setup can throw as far as a Lux III DD Tri lux 3C setup?
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/93297
Fatman converter running 3 lux IIIs at about 9 volts. Also, what would the approximate lux rating be?

Modamag, the light on the bottom right, is it running on 3x123s?

Last edited:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags, dunno if Billy used 3xCR123 or 2x-18500.
Lux reading will not do the Tri-Lux justice. It's 240+ lumen but only register 5-7K Lux@1m.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You get a bit higher lux readings (and throw) when using McR20 reflectors. :whistle:

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks, it's me again...

Finally I want to build such a light in a M@g 2D body hosting 3C NiMh 4500mAh. I want a regulated setup with a fatman driver and external trimpot.
Everything clear till now.
Here's my question:
Will such a setup actually work or is the voltage too low?
How long will be the runtime?

THX

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
My guess ... it will work, but not with full power. The max. input current of the Fatman driver is the limiting factor.

IIRC a Fatman can´t use more than 2.2A input current. Multiply 2.2A input with 3.6V battery voltage and 90% efficiency and you´ll get ~7 watts of max. output power (~700mA, depending on the Lux Vf).