POP2E Orb Raw

cgpeanut

Enlightened
OK, I wanted to create a new sammie using the latestet POP2E v2.39 so I said why not the Orb Raw? Just finished it last night so it's not ready to primetime yet.

pop2orb01.jpg

Left: POP2E v2.39 Right: Original Orb Raw pcb.

pop2orb09.jpg

Left: POP2E v2.39 PCB Right: Orb Raw DD pcb

pop2orb11.jpg

I matched the thickness of the Original Orb Raw pcb which was .106"

pop2orb04.jpg

pop2orb08.jpg

pop2orb10.jpg

pop2orb02.jpg

pop2orb03.jpg

pop2orb07.jpg

EDIT:
I'm using TPS73201 as primary and TPS73101 as secondary with TWOH luxeon, Output is in the range of 250-300 mA at full brightness. I want to be able to run at least 4 hours at low mode.

Last edited:

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool! Do you have a link to the features in the POP2E v2.39?

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that it worked out. That looks awsome.
Great work.

mut

cgpeanut

Enlightened
Wanted to practice making some more POP2E v2.39 for the ORB raw, I'm getting good at it, Much better than the first time.

POP2E1.jpg

Very important that the POP2E ORB Raw PCB match the stock DD ORB PCB including the how the cathod and anode luxeon pins are soldered to the POP2 circuit..

POP2e2.jpg

By bending the pins downward, there will be no chance they will get into contact with the thick aluminum ring great heat transfer is achieved also, the new " prong design" :laughing: keeps the luxeon from turning when activating and centering the luxeon.

POP2e5.jpg

Stock Orb Raw DD pcb with the POP2E inside and screwed in.
POP2e4.jpg

Bottom of the POP2E board, exact thinckness of the ORB Raw pcb.

POP2e3.jpg

Left: New POP2 Orb v2.39 Center: Original DD Orb and Right: First prototype POP2 Orb Raw, Learned a lot from the building the second one :D

Here's a very short movie link to the POP2E v2.39 default UI

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/rroxas/POP2EORB.gif

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Work,
Where are all the SMD??
:)

cgpeanut

Enlightened
:wow: Thanks Pila_Power, cy, Orb, Dr. Joe :rock:

@Rob, the components are underneath the slug :D

img_0281.jpg

img_0263.jpg

I'm sure you noticed the rubber o-ring in between the plate and the POP2 board now, before you say blasphemy! :faint: the rubber o-ring worked good containing the thick epoxy I placed inside to hold the two together, heat transfer occurs at the lux -> plate -> thick aluminum ring anyways. plus it made it look better I think :) It might act as a shock absorber too when pressure is applied to the module :laughing: to activate.

img_0265.jpg

Now, if only I can source someone to make us an aluminum heat sink that's a one piece design, i.e: plate with walls underneath :poke:or maybe a carbon fiber plate with aluminum ring? I read somewhere carbon fiber tranfer heat better.

img_0268.jpg

Last edited:

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Awesome work, I love the small form factor and the option to turn a simple dd light into a gadget light! :)

cgpeanut

Enlightened
Thanks moeman! jriller, mut, mohr got your pms.

I was watching the sebring proto-type race over the weekend and they had a segment on carbon fiber disc brakes glowing in the dark, I think you are right, they don't transfer heat but can withstand tremendous heat. it looked awesome :D

As far as price goes. I'm thinking hard :thinking:, contacting folks, everything has to align just right to make this work, and NOPE I don't do pre-pay, it''s merchandize on hand, delivered next day or sooner is want I would do.

I'm thinking TXOH, TYOH, TWOH dual LDO with TPS73601 as primary and TPS73201 as secondary :laughing:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love it!! Put me down for one.

I love the sharing of the process. Hell now anybody can do it! And lets hope they do.

This is cool stuff. I love my little RAW. This will be great RAW accesory.
Amazing work.
Yaesumofo