iPod Users

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Does anyone have the latest version of the iPod? I think it's the one that is color, with more runtime and has ~60-gigs of storage. I have the one before that version, with 15-gigs and no color. I was wondering if the color and extended runtime makes it worth getting the newer one.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I have a 40 gig Photo. Pretty decent little player. I upgraded from a 20 gig 3G.

I like the color screen. Photos look pretty good on it for showing off, but it isn't the highest resolution photo viewer in the world. I like that it syncs with iPhoto automagically. The click wheel is also a nice improvement from the previous generation.

There are 2 versions of the 60 gig out there:
60 Gig loaded: This was the original 60 gig photo and the most expensive iPod ever at $599. It includes a dock, USB *AND* Firewire cable, TV cable, and case

60 Gig cheap: This one came out later. Same player but they stripped the accessories.

I got my 40 gig when it was discontinued for a pretty good price. You might be able to find a 60 gig with all the goodies, but if not, it's still a nice player.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 30 gig photo. It's pretty nice. I almost bought the 60 gig, but somehow sense prevailed. I only have around 7 gigs of music, and less than a gig of pictures.
I like it a lot. It's not the best for viewing detailed pictures, since the screen is so small, and not the highest of resolutions, but good for viewing snapshots basically. It's great if you have one of the digital cameras that is compatible with it. You can transfer pics directly to the iPod with the right cable or adapter. Great for travel, since you only need the camera, and the iPod instead of bringing a ton of memory cards.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The color screen is a very cool idea, but I'm not sure if that alone is worth the upgrade. I primarily use my iPod for music, and it handles that excellently. If I were to have a color-screen model, I would definitely load up my pictures onto it, but only because I could, and not because I need or really want to.

As far as runtime goes, you have two options to imporve yours on your existing model, without shelling out all the dough you would need for a completely new model. Firstly you could upgrade your existing battery. There are several companies that will either do this for you, or send you out a higher-capacity battery along with some tools that allow you to change the battery yourself. Additionally, you can purchase add-on battery packs that "piggy back" onto your iPod. These do take up more space, but they are very easy to use and can greatly improve your runtime.

I really like the latest iPods, and if money isn't that much of an issue, I would go for one. If money is more of an issue though, a new battery/add-on battery is probably a better idea. As far as the color screen goes, I don't think you can change that without getting a newer model, but is it really necessary?

gorn

Enlightened
My buddie just picked up the new 60 Gig, Color IPod. He loves the thing. I checked it out and think it is really nice. I don't know that I would buy a new one just for the larger drive and color screen. I am waiting for the release of the new mini IPod with all flash memory instead of the micro-drive.

Frangible

Enlightened
I have a Samsung flash based player with a color LCD and have to say I prefer monochrome screens. The novelty of color wears off very quickly and you have to press a button to see the screen as the backlight draws too much power to remain on all the time while not plugged in.

Personally, I'd upgrade the battery in your mono iPod. (unless you're running out of room on it)

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have actually answered the question in my post probably. If you already have an iPod, I wouldn't get a new one. I like the color screen, but I only got it because it's what was there. I put my pictures on it, but that was mostly because I could. I didn't have any need to, I just took advantage of a feature it had. If you go on lots of vacations and take tons of pictures, or if your music collection skyrockets, then maybe it would be worth it. But that's just me.

Screehopper

Enlightened
I saw the news on the iPod Nano and the new cell phone-ipod. So many new goodies. Looks pretty neat.

I still need to get myself an iPod.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didnt they just release the IVideo? Its an ipod that plays videos? I know a hack or application was made a few months ago to play them in the monochrome style units, but this was suppose to be something new and from what I understand from fox business friday, it was a flop. Not as much of a flop as the black nano, but that too had disappointing sales.

I saw the black nano at radio shack. Man, that is one nice looking paint job on something so small. If it had a color screen, I think it would be great.

Myself, i won an ipod mini. Its smaller than a regular ipod and has 2 gb storage. Holds 777 songs of the classic rock, metal I like to listen to. The first one lasted 3 months and ipod replaced it. Second one has worked fine. I use to use it daily for the calendar, clock and audible for wall st and other audio programs like phil hendrie at my last job. Since its been replaced, Ive only used it off and on for music and to top the charge off. Seems to run down every few days rather I use it or not. Its the silver model, flat finish.

The good side, it works as a removable hard drive when plugged into a computer. The down side is the accessories are high. I think this model costs 200 bucks, but the cases are like 30 bucks, usb, car or firewire adapter is 30 bucks, the accessory pack at radio shack that has an extra battery, case and disposable emergency charger is 70 bucks. I just cant see spending half the price or even a 4th for something like a charger. Reason is, it takes 8 hours to recharge on my laptop usb plug. A powered usb hub aint that cheap either.

What was i trying to say again?

newo

Newly Enlightened
cobb said:
I saw the black nano at radio shack. Man, that is one nice looking paint job on something so small. If it had a color screen, I think it would be great.

I have a white nano. They do have a color screen. I'm not sure why, because it is only slightly larger than a postage stamp, but it is color. Very legible, too, even for this middle-aged guy with eyes that aren't what they once were.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I saw was hanging on the wall near the ipod aceessories. It looked like a nice keytag for a luxuary car, then I saw the label that said nano. It wasnt powered up, nor did i fool with it. I was just shocked at the finish on it. i know lots of folks get their ipods painted and seen some nice jobs.

Saaby

Flashaholic
cobb said:
Didnt they just release the IVideo? Its an ipod that plays videos? I know a hack or application was made a few months ago to play them in the monochrome style units, but this was suppose to be something new and from what I understand from fox business friday, it was a flop. Not as much of a flop as the black nano, but that too had disappointing sales.

Wednesday of this week they came out with an update to the full size iPods. They are now capable of playing MPEG4 video. If you put Linux on one of the older, color screen, full size iPods, you can play 24 bit AVIs. The new ones will play MPEG4 or H.264 video. I don't know what you would consider a flop,iPod sales grew by something like 224% this quarter which is less than analysts had hoped, but astonishing growth none the less. I don't think you can call a hack a flop, and the new video-capable ones have only been out for 4 days, so too early to call them a flop too, I think.

It's my understanding that the Black nano has been more popular than the white nano. Both the black, white, 2gb, and 4gb nanos all feature color screens.

Myself, i won an ipod mini. Its smaller than a regular ipod and has 2 gb storage....battery...silver...

The only iPod that has ever been offered in 2gb is the new nano. Good news: Yours has got at least 4 gb, and maybe as much as 6! Sorry to hear about the battery. Does it actually die on you, or does the meter just say it's low? The battery icon on mine will often say it's low if it's been off for a few days, but as I start playing music it magically charges up to 70% charged or more. The battery gages are not the best, so don't call the battery dead until it won't play any more. My sister did manage to wear out the battery in the Pink mini she got when the minis very first came out. She had it professionally replaced with a higher capacity battery for under $50, including shipping. Might want to look into that.

The down side is the accessories are high. I think this model costs 200 bucks, but the cases are like 30 bucks, usb, car or firewire adapter is 30 bucks, the accessory pack at radio shack that has an extra battery, case and disposable emergency charger is 70 bucks. I just cant see spending half the price or even a 4th for something like a charger. Reason is, it takes 8 hours to recharge on my laptop usb plug.

The iPods will charge from your USB, but the charge rate is slooowww. Retail markup on accessories is ridiculous, just like it is on audio/video cables and cell phone accessories. Check eBay. I have a car charger for mine, as well as a retractable Firewire cable. I think both cost me around $10 or $11 including shipping. I wouldn't pay $30 for a charger either ;)

What was i trying to say again?

I think it was a cry for help, sounds like you're not enjoying your iPod nearly as much as you could be :D

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saaby, just saying what i heard on fox business. It was my understanding the sales so far of the ivideo were not as high as expected. Similar to the nano, but they made a note the black nano was way more popular than the white one.

Sounds like the ipod is about up to a computer. Being able to play videos, music, store stuff. Next we need a wireless thing for sending and receiving email and web.

My ipod mini is the smaller, looks like the back is stamped 4gb.

Right to about battery life. It starts up nearly dead, then after some use it comes up half way. I usually plug it in that time and leave it over night.

Maybe you just grow to like them or its more of a culture thing?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's not called iVideo ;) It's just the iPod, and it now does video. There are still 3 models I believe, the shuffle, the nano and the ipod. The ipod does video now :)

Sales of the black nano outpace the white, and they are having no trouble selling them. As saaby said, sales are up over 200% and have far outstretched apple's own estimates. There were some financial pundits that put apple's profit goals far ahead of Apple's own sec filing, and of course those morons were disappointed even though the actual numbers were still far better than what Apple had predicted. But the stock has already recovered from the price hit that it took when they didn't meet some random guys estimate that knew nothing about the company or anything, so if you were looking for a buying opportunity, you already missed it ;)

EDIT: perhaps you'd rather have one of THESE Mmmmmm, yummy...

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
An ipez? When I was looking at mp3 players, I wanted a few gigs for 200 bucks. Then mp4 players came out. Of course you need mp4s to play on a mp4 player. I thought i would save that dream til I was rich or richer than I am now. Not like they show music videos or least those that rock on tv anymore.