Good LED to leave in the car?

fxer

Newly Enlightened
I was just shopping around for a good LED flashlight to leave in the car for emergencies and such. Maybe have to lay it on the side of the road to light up my spare tire changing, and general I-could-use-a-flashlight moments. This would probably mean nothing rechargable, that I would have to check on and charge a lot more often than an alkaline.

What do you people keep in your autos?

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're shopping, I'd say get the PT Aurora now on sale at REI. It's a handsfree light with three leds, plenty bright for changing tires, it's waterproof, has long battery life, nice wideangle coverage, and has flashing modes for signalling. It's not good for long-distance illumination but no LED is.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep an Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phazer. You can read about it in the 'Elektrolumens' section of the forums here. I also keep an Inova 24/7 in the glove box just in case. Of course, I'm always carrying something on myself but that varies. :)

Jeff

pec50

Enlightened
UK4aa eled in one vehicle and Streamlight propolymer 7led in another; both will run all night, weather-proof, low cost enough to be readily replaceable, and provide good flood light potential, particularly the 7led. I also carry a PT EOS headlamp in my medical bag.

BillG

Newly Enlightened
uk 4AA eLED with lithium batts.....alkies dont work too good in cold weather.

SAY.....what happened to all my posts????? i have more than 27 posts here....more like 200!!!!

Last edited:

redduck

Newly Enlightened
After I received my Fenix L1P I'll probably retired my QIII to glove box.

Krit

Enlightened
I have mod 3AA Illumalux from Elecktrolumen with low dome luxI and NX05 direct drive. The plenty light from 3 AA alkaline battery give long run about 5-8 hr. Beam shape is spread wide for close use event walk near my car. It's not heavy to use my mount hold the flashlight during some use for a short time.

One in my car is mini magnet led light for stick up any where of metal body. It's very important for my usual job.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
There were some great car threads in the past, but I guess we can't yet search for those. At any rate, our car lights are: the Streamlight Twin Task 2L, with both incan and leds. It doesn't excel at either task, but well enough for storage with two sets of batteries in the trunk.

Also, either a 24/7 or an Eternalight, both have multiple leds, strobe and signaling modes, they are stored with lithium AAs in place. For signaling, I also have a Turboflare in the trunk loaded with lithium AAs as well.

But a headlamp would be smart for working on the car and all, just takes more effort to package it, and keep it clean and all. I find myself grabbing one more often than I would have guessed at home.

cheers,
daloosh

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
get a small ziplock bag for the headlamp to keep it from getting tangled up with everything.

Krit

Enlightened
One more led is cheap headlight led with magnet for multi-use. You can use with handfree option or stick to the car for make light or signal. It have brinking step for make a good signel for the other car. I have no picture now but someone can imagine of china 3xAAA head light with 5 led.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
fxer said:
I was just shopping around for a good LED flashlight to leave in the car for emergencies and such. Maybe have to lay it on the side of the road to light up my spare tire changing, and general I-could-use-a-flashlight moments. This would probably mean nothing rechargable, that I would have to check on and charge a lot more often than an alkaline.

What do you people keep in your autos?

http://www.techass.com/el/elm4z/index.php

This is the Technology Associates EliteMax. It has a nice flood light out put that can be dimmed. It also has flasher modes etc... It is waterproof. You could, for example lay this on the ground while you change a tire or you could (with the included magnet) attach it to your car as a warning flasher etc...

Comes with Lithium AAs installed so their have a huge long shelf life and they are minimally effected by heat or cold unlike alkalines.

J.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I always like to have lithium powered LED's in my cars for emergencies. Both my car and the Mrs have Everled Drop in converted Mags powered by C123 lithium cells and my ambulance car carries a G2 with a BOG 3 watt LED drop in.

I usually have at least two other lights on me and feel pretty certain that I've covered all possibilities with this setup.

Doug http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/images/icons/icon10.gif
Talking

juancho

Enlightened
I have an PT 40 in the glove compartment together with a UK ELED 4 AA.
In the trunk I have a big Maglite 5 D with a traffic cone and also this light from Cabela's
http://a1460.g.akamai.net/f/1460/13...elas/en/content/Item/51/52/37/i515237sq02.jpg
I paid $25.00 for it and now is $15.00
It is a great headlamp to look under the hood or change a tire.
it have 4 or 8 LED's

All my lights in AA have Lithium batteries for the all season long term duration.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I keep a PT Aurora in my glovebox. Headlamps are great for changing flats as you direct the light where you need it, and keep your hands free.

Uses three 5mm LED's, runs a good 8 hours on high without dimming noticeably, and less than $20.

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
Wong said:
Mine is Mag2C (5watt, DB1000, 3 X 123) can flood , can throw :)

hey wong just wondering did you build that yourself? sounds like a great project i might want to build

sorry if off topic