Surefire L1 and CR123A Rechargeables

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I know there was a list of lights that you could use Rechargeables in but since the search feature isn't working I can't find it.

Just making sure I could use the CR123A Rechargeables that Battery Station sells in the Surefire L1.

Are the CR123A Rechargeables bigger in diameter than 123's? There won't be a problem with them fitting?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
sbebenelli wrote: "Just making sure I could use the CR123A Rechargeables that Battery Station sells in the Surefire L1."

Rechargeable Lithium Battery Information Page at Lighthound.com

QUOTE: "LED Lights / Heads NOT compatible with 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries:
  • SureFire® L1, L2, L4 and L6 Flashlights "

mohr

Newly Enlightened
Surefire L1 and CR123A Rechargeables ??? does it work ??

mmhhhhhh ?

i`ve read the info on lighthounds site but i allready found a mistake/error on it.
the surefire L4 does work with protected R123a and Pilas.

i`have seen a post on cpf that it is possible to use R123a with a L1, but i can`t find the thread anymore.

the new L1 has a 3 w luxeon and i think it depends on the VF of the emitter if it will be safe for the luxeon to be powered by a R123a.

i dont think that the elektronik will be toasted by the + 0.6 v from the R123a.

maybe there is a cpf member that will know about the L1 and using R123a cells

best regards from germany

christian

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire L1 and CR123A Rechargeables ??? does it work ??

mohr wrote: "surefire L4 does work with protected R123a and Pilas."

Have to be careful talking about "protected" rechargeable RCR123/CR123A - as far as I know there are 2 types - one which is still nominally 3.7V (and freshly charged can be as high as 4.2V) - then there is the rarer (for now) nominally 3.0V rechargeable RCR123/CR123A.

I would say that the 3.0V rechargeable RCR123/CR123A would probably be safe - as it seems to be just a direct replacement for the regular NON-rechargeable CR123A.

However the 3.7V rechargeable RCR123 which are a lot more common including ones that are protected probably will damage (or grossly shorten the LED life of) most 1watt Luxeon based lights - unless the circuitry is built specifically for the 3.7V RCR123.

3watt Luxeon III lights - probably are OK on direct drive using a single nominal 3.7V RCR123 since their Vf and current draw are within spec.

You have to bear in mind Lighthound.com are dealers for the lights cited in their lists and they have to publish what the manufacturer recommends for warranty purposes. If you are in any doubt just write to John at Lighthound.com who is a supporting dealer on CPF - he has been extremely helpful in clarifying information.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 uses a 5W LED, not a 1W or 3W and is designed to run off of 2 SF123's. That's 6V. So if you use one R123 like a Pila 168S or a regular size R123 you are only delivering 3.7-4.2 of the 6V normal requirement.

So it's safe to use 1 R123 and a dummy spacer or 1 Pila 168S in an L4

The L1, I don't know. Try at your own risk.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what brand rechargables you plan on using, but know that that at least the ones from batterystation are slightly wider in diameter and in fact wont fit it my L1 (gen 2) battery tube. I almost considered getting the tube bored out by Milkyspit so that I could use them, but I didn't want to void the warranty.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
I routinley use Pilas in my L4. I have also used a Battery station CR123R in my L4 with a surefire spacer, or the L4 head on an E1e body and the Battery Station rechargable 123. it only puts out 4.2Volts fully charged, the L4 can handle it. I also use it in my Q-III and ARC LSH-P.

cy

Flashaholic
don't know if you are suppose to, but I've been running R123 li-ion in my L1 without issues for sometime.