Paint Stripper

jtice

Flashaholic
Goto WalMart and get a thing of Red Devil LYE power.
Should be in the house cleaning section.

Put about a teaspoon, to tablespoon in a cup of water.
Will take it right off.

~John

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice said:
Goto WalMart and get a thing of Red Devil LYE power.
Should be in the house cleaning section.

Put about a teaspoon, to tablespoon in a cup of water.
Will take it right off.

~John

Thanks JT...

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't find the Red Devil Lye, Draino will work. "Be very, very careful" is a not a statement to be taken lightly. You'll be needing some latex gloves (the type used for washing dishes), and some protective goggles would be very wise. You'll need to cover the light with the solution, so one cup of water will not do it, unless it's a minimag and you're using a very small rectangular container. It really won't take that much Lye or Draino to take the stuff off. The color of the anodizing also seems to have a slight tendency to reattach itself to the metal if left in too long. If that happens, you can just use a small tooth brush or rag and it will just wipe right off (but not if the metal has been out of the solution for a short while).

They used to sell Red Devil Lye at the Albertson's around my house, but no longer carry it. My thought was that it was no longer carried because it is used in the production of methamphetamine. So, like I said, Draino (crystals) will work, as it contains caustic soda *lye* as the active ingredient (sodium hydroxide).

Another safer method for removing anodizing, which I have not tried, but have read many testimonials about, it a cleaning solution (degreaser, I think) called Greased Lighnight (or Grease Lightning). I've seen it at Wal-Mart, and it's very cheap. The guys on the the R/C forums swear by it and have posted many pictures of it's perfect results. They say you just need to let the light sit in it for 40 minutes to remove the anodizing and they also say that it does not etch the metal.

Again, be sure to use some protection if you decide to go the route of the Lye or Draino. I can feel the stuff eating the skin off of my fingers just talking about it.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the good tips... I ended up using Draino, mixed it kind of strong. Waited around 15 - 20 minutes and wa la it tooked like the tailcap had been sandblasted!

Dave