Lamina BL4000

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little while ago, I obtained a white lamina BL4000. For those that don't know, Lamina Ceramics specializes in using metal ceramics for thermal management of LED arrays. Their BL2000 is a 7-cavity array with 6 LED dies per cavity. The BL3000 is a 39 cavity array.

The BL4000 reduces the size of the light source, and uses a circular ceramic base so that phsically, the BL4000 is comparable to a Luxeon star - at the output that lamina rates them for, the BL4000 seems to be competing with the Luxeon V.

Lamina gives a typical output of 120 lumens at 700mA, and a typical Vf at that current of 7.6V. I figured I'd run it through its paces and give some measured values.

First, some pictures:

The BL4000:
bl4k1.jpg

The circle is approx 0.8" in diameter. Lamina uses the same ceramic board for an RGB version of the BL4000. The other sets of solder pads are for the RGB version, so there are independent + and - pads for R, G, and B.

Here it is next to a Luxeon III star:

bl4k2.jpg

It's about the same size...but the BL4000 is very thin:

bl4k3.jpg

It's less than 1/16" thick!

Next to each pair of solder pads is a little oval window. On the white version, only one of those appears to have something underneath. Here is a close-up of that:

bl4k4.jpg

There looks to be some kind of semiconductor, and a bond wire. I'm really not sure what this is - maybe some kind of ESD protection? Or perhaps another diode in series with the array, to protect against reverse voltage? There is only one of these - the other two spots don't have the semiconductor or bond wire - I would imagine that on the RGB version, all three are populated.

Given the 700mA, 7.6V rating of this part, and the small emission area, I'd imagine that it's a series-parallel setup of high power LED dies, just like a Luxeon V. Here is the lamina powered up with a fraction of a mA:

bl4k5.jpg

You can see the 4 dies lit up - so this looks like it is indeed a series-parallel setup. The dies appear to be spaced rather far apart too, unlike the tightly arranged Luxeon V dies. The phosphor definitely is not a conformal process like on Luxeon LEDs - so there is a significant amount of color shift depending on the viewing angle. This also leads to a large light source compared to the size of the actual dies.

Now for some test data. The datasheet specifies test data to 800mA...but, given the information in the datasheet about thermal resistance and maximum junction temperature, it seems you should be able to drive it to much higher currents. I've done tests up to 1300mA.

First, the Vf vs. If curve:

bl4k8.png

The BL4000 has a Vf curve that's quite linear, but also quite steep. It's quite a bit higher than a Luxeon V. I'm wondering if that mysterious semiconductor has anything to do with it...

Next, beam distribution.

I've recently set up a system in my garage that allows me to plot out beam distribution of a light source. I have an 8" diameter disk with angle markings, a light source holder, and my light meter, held at a distance of 1m.

Here are the results of the BL4000 beam angle measurements:

bl4k6.png

It's a nice pattern that's very close to a normal lambertian pattern.

Given brightness measurements and the beam distribution measurements, I can do a lumen calculation based on piecewise integration of the measurements. I don't have an integrating sphere to verify my results, but I've used this technique for measuring quite a few luxeons and the results always have been reasonable.

Here's how the lamina scales with current:

bl4k7.png

You can see that the efficacy numbers aren't that great - Lamina doesn't actually make their own LED dies - they are simply LED packagers - so they rely on other LED manufactuers for the LED parts themselves. Thus, they are at the mercy of someone else as far as efficacy goes. It looks to me like they're using some older generation power LED dies for the BL4000 - the "typical" values from the datasheet even show that they're only getting just over 22 lm/W. Output is really starting to level off at 1300mA - 1A is probably a good point to be running these at.

It seems that these numbers are pretty low - using the same technique and instruments, I measured one of my Lux V lights to have an output of 103 lumens with a VV0S emitter running at 750mA - so again, the technique seems to produce reasonable numbers.

I'm not sure what I will be doing with this yet...but it was fun to poke at these to see what they're capable of...

PeterW

Enlightened
Excellent bit of work. Have you tried the same on the BL2000/3000 emitters to see how they fare?

Cheers

PEterW

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, I haven't...while the BL2000/4000 are reasonably priced for experimenting (around $20), the BL3000 is quite an investment, at $80 for the white version.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Evan, nice write up. :goodjob: The latest datasheet claims 120lms at 7.6V/700mA drive. Your data on output, was that from an older set of information?

I am actually trying to get a group buy happening at this link, I think I should be able to get to the 5 unit price for the BL3000, even if I have to get 1 or 2 more. Perhaps a good time to get one.

They've got some new heatsinks specifically designed for them and they look like they've got pretty good surface areas. The one for the BL3000 is some 137mm diam x 25mm (1") tall with radiating fins.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
hotbeam,

All of the data I plotted was derived from actual measured values. I used a light meter and a rig that allowed me to precisely change the angle the LED was pointed at - so I could measure the beam intensity at a bunch of different angles, and use geometry and the defintion of lux to estimate luminous output. I'd really need some kind of reference for this - so I'm not sure how accurate it is - though I feel that my methodology is sound

The BL4000 was bolted to a 2"x2" heat sink with a cooling fan to keep things cool.

For reference, here are some other measurements that I've made with this technique:

VV0S White Luxeon V @ 750mA: 103 lumens
G2G Red-Orange Luxeon III @ 1300mA: 128 lumens
TY0L White Luxeon III @ 670mA: 46 lumens
TV1K White Luxeon III @ 670mA: 43 lumens

I'm probably under-estimating lumen output - but again, I'm not sure by how much...

Last edited:

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Evan. I wonder if there has been any improvements since you received your BL4000. Anyhow, I'll be getting (well, ordering) the latest batch end of this week.

Litemania... tempted? :D You'll have some coming... :)

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your will perform pretty much the same as mine - I got it about a month ago, so i doubt there'd be significant difference in them - then again, who knows?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice analysis Evan - I really like your Lux scanning method and setup. Just curious - is your scanning setup capable of analyzing a reflector + LED - so up to peak Lux levels in the 500 - 2000 Lux kind of levels ?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice write up evan.
i like the (sound of the) method that you used to estimate the lumens output, yum, piecewise integration.

I am thinking of getting one too and while lamina has optic (fraen) to go and work with the BL4000, i am wondering how well will one of these fare using reflector; say the common ones like SO17XA, or 20 or 27 or even mag (large) reflector.

So to get optimum output relative to input power, you need to input 1 amp * 8.5 V, which would be 8.5 W of power?
not bad considering the cheaper price compared to lux V. How's the color comparison?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Harry,

My light meter is definitely capable (up to 20K lux) - and in the case where I've exceeded 20K lux, I simply move the meter out to 2m, and multiply the reading by 4.

However, for tightly focused beams, it's difficult to be extremely accurate since I only have 1-degree resolution on the movement - I think what I need to do is build some kind of vernier scale so I can move by 1/2 or even 1/4 degree. Also, all other alignments become more cricital (light pointing perfectly level, center of beam at the same height as the light sensor, etc) when dealing with focused lights.

I built this rig more in mind for testing bare emitters, since the output is spread out over a wide angle, and alignment is a lot less important.

I've tried mapping the output from a Luxeon V mag mod - It's about a 2-degree beam, so I only got a couple measurements in the tightest part of the beam - in addition, my measurements did not show the "donut hole" of a tightly focuesed Lux V in a mag reflector. To make things more accurate, I de-focused the beam and plotted it out again. Even then, the majority of the light was within 7 degrees off-axis, so still not a whole lot of data points. I measured 71 lumens tightly focused, and 72 lumens loosely focused - but I think the closeness is more from luck than any repeatability or accuracy in my equipment.

I just got out of the garage, testing an old low-dome Lux 1 with an NX05 optic. At 340mA, I calculated an output of 13.8 lumens. I figured out about a 10% loss due to heat, and about 20% loss due to optics (I just remembered that this particular low dome had a pinhole in the phosphor, so I roughed up the dome in that area with some fine sandpaper to diffuse the leaking blue light) - which would give this a raw "binned" output of around 19 lumens - I think it was supposed to be an N or P bin (it's been a few years)...

So in a nutshell, I don't think my accuracy is up to snuff enough to test tightly focused lights - I'm getting low readings on everything I measure - even when factoring in output loss due to junction temp, I'm calculating output significantly lower than what the bins are saying they should be.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
shiftd,

I don't think any of our normal optics/reflectors will work with this - I just tried out a bunch of optics and reflectors, and none of them came close to focusing very well. A Mag reflector would have to be cut down quite a bit before coming into focus.

Color seemed to be on the bluish-HID side of things.

Latest posts