Arc AAAv4 and Gerber LX 3.0 in use

txmatt

Enlightened
Got the first extended use out of my Arc AAAv4 and new Gerber LX 3.0: they're both keepers.

My girlfriend and I went with family to Big Bend National Park last weekend. When we arrived at the lodge Friday night, their power was out. I loaned out an Arc AAAv4 and Gerber Infinity Ultra for use in another room and used another Arc AAAv4 and Gerber LX 3.0 in our room for light. The Gerber will stand on end and sufficiently lit up the entire room. It was actually too much light because with the doors open (low temps in the low 60's... nice!) it would attract bugs. The Arc AAAv4, wedged between a couple dressers and pointed at the ceiling, provided enough light in the room to move around and unpack without attracting bugs.

Even when the power was on the following nights, we used the Arc for room light to be able to leave the doors and window open. I guess you know you're campers at heart when you're staying in a hotel room with the doors/windows open and using a flashlight for light.

Also did a short night-hike to a ranger talk, maybe 1/2 mile each way on a rocky trail in the dark. The Gerber LX 3.0 is a great light for this. I think with its brighter spill I prefer it even over my very nice Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA. The person in front used the Arc for some light while also getting flood from the Gerber from the following person.

I continue to love the Arc AAAv4. When it's dark outside like it is in Big Bend with no moon, the Arc puts out plenty of light to walk by. While I would choose to take something brighter like the Gerber, the Arc with Lithium AAA is fine by itself for walking and even trail hiking at night.

Matt

Latest posts