Red-Orange 3W 190 lumens

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The R/O's are freekishly bright! I got my hands on a few H2GH's and transplanted an emitter into a SF L1 dumb head and run it DD (~1A) on a SF123 in an E1e. Freekin' bright is when you can close your eyes, flash yourself, and see spots afterwards. In the dark, I can put it against the palm of my hand and see red on the back side! (And I have large hands.)

One caution- several have reported blowing them by failing to isolate the slug or star from ground.

Larry

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up some G2HH high domes and a some F2GH side emitters. I'm hoping to end up with "battery burner marker lights" with the SEs and maybe an Aleph2 setup for one of the HDs. I've heard they make a lot of light for the juice input.

-LT

XenonM3

Enlightened
One caution- several have reported blowing them by failing to isolate the slug or star from ground.

This got me worried, because I am wanting to remove the emiter from the star and do an install into one of my other flashlights.

Is there instructions anywhere on how to isolate the slug from ground?

any help would be appreciated :thanks:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i read from some forum that you can, spread a layer of the googy thingy onto the r/o
slug first, then it set , then continue like wat you do normally it may help, i don't know as i have not try, getting a r/o too, same bin TOO!!(coincidence?) going to mod some #ucking expensive china light(which cost is 7++ but sells for 25++, hate that brand) with it.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh ya, can anyone help me with resistors, i am running it from 3nimh aaa i bought the "1ohm resistor 2watts", is the 2watts too much and i should buy a 1/8watts? i think i am running it at 940mah.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, you should stick with a 2W resistor. At 940mA, you're dissipating 1W in the resistor. If you were to stick an 1/8W resistor in its place, it would burn up.

wtraymond

Enlightened
Actually, to run these at spec you'll need a little less resistance. These emitters are rated for 190 lumens at 1400mah. Watch out for a major heat build-up.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are 1/2 ohm resistors? i didn't know that.(yesh that is why i choosed 1ohm)

heat will be a problem for sure in those cheap light(which cost *3+ times more then the cost)

i wanted to "make" a heat sink out of copper :p but my design & technology lessons were gone last year (another lvl )

so can't go in the work shop :( so i will have to take some risk ^_^

if it burns hand, let it be!!(of course i want it to burn hands, that means heat flow/dis...[how do i spell it?] is good!!)

if not then... let there be a temp blinding-friends light. (at night, shine it into ppls eyes they will be blind)

Last edited:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, if it's the small, bulb-like drop-in without the optic. The thermal management on those is terrible - they allow the body of the drop-in module to get up to 100C, which means they're easily exceeding the maximum junction temperature for Luxeons. Not to mention that with a Red-Orange, at that temperature, output drops to about 20% (not BY 20%, but to 20% of normal, so BY 80%)