First post! Looking for a great defensive light!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Greetings!

I've always been a nut for lights but only recently found out that places like this exist! Well, I'd better get straight to the point.

In order of priority, I'm looking for a light that:

1) Has an instantly selectable high-beam to blind attackers (at least 200 lumens? Not sure if this is enough/too much.)

2a) Can fit into a typical office-pant-sized-pocket. SureFire M6 is too big.

2b) Has a low beam that will last 3 hours or more.

3) Is tough enough to clobber someone. (metal construction?)

4) I hope I don't come across as arrogant but I don't have much of a budget as long as I have my safety! Perhaps below $500 would be reasonable?

I tried to do my own research and tried the search function but it hasn't worked out. I seem to like SureFire's selection but thier website's features and descriptions confuse me!

Background: I really need a reliable and effective light for my safety. I'm shorter than 170cm and unfortunately, (again I don't mean to sound too much) but gays (I'm a straight male) are always giving me the 'look' and that always worries me. I currently use a pepper spray but I feel a light is better for my purposes.

Any help would really be appreciated! Thanks a lot for you inputs!

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hands down the hardest I have laughed in a long time..
Good luck in your quest, and keep your butt covered!
I'm in tears here..

Cymro

Newly Enlightened
I"m with Pydpiper on this one....I damn near fell out of my chair.

Whatever problems you have are probably not going to be solved by a flashlight. I'd recommend a bottle of whiskey and a good long 'think'.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Yeah... Expected that kind of response...

I go to the gym and that's where I get the 'looks'. Anyone with useful suggestions?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Welcome to the CPF!!

This request has been made many times! I think you guys need to back off and be nice!!!

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really trying to think about this one but most of the conditions seem to be mutually exclusive.

Honest, I'm trying to take this as a legitimate question, but I just cannot...

JM-99

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Roy said:
Welcome to the CPF!!

This request has been made many times! I think you guys need to back off and be nice!!!

Thanks... It's not the first time I've had such responses from other guys who see that I'm carrying around a pepper spray.

Well back to the main topic; problem is that I can't get the search to work properly. Even then, it's hard finding my way through the forum when there seems to be quite a bit of assumed knowledge expected on my part.

cslinger

Enlightened
You need a wedding ring not a light. :D

Tough call on a light selection. Lights are not defensive tools technically. They can aid in the use of other defensive tools.

I would think something like a Surefire L5 would give you something akin to what you want.
Bright enough to momentarily startle blind.
Strong enough for flash and bash.
LED is strong like bull.
Should run about an hour at full bore with dimishing light thereafter for a hour or two.

Seriously if you are worried about your safety your best bet is to avoid the area. I don't mean safety from "Gay People" as much as people who may be giving you the look as in to do you harm. If they are just giving you the why don't you come up and see me look, who cares. Politely decline if they ask you out, have a chuckle and go on with your business.

Chris

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Jumpmaster said:
I'm really trying to think about this one but most of the conditions seem to be mutually exclusive.

Honest, I'm trying to take this as a legitimate question, but I just cannot...

JM-99

I'll try to name a light which came closest to my requirements:

I found the SF U2 to be nice in terms of size and long endurance but I don't think 80 lumens is bright enough to blind someone for long enough right?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a Surefire M6 is too big you may want to consider something from Surefires defence line, they tend to put the ridges in the right spot (executive defender)
Or, perhaps a 9P with an afermarket bezel attachment to allow a bit more of an aggressive flashlight, they are available right here from lighthoud.com, he has the parts you may need to make a light fitting some of your requirements, but you wont find one that fits them all.
Most importantly, when you do aquire your light do not keep it in your front pocket!
Have you considered switching gyms? Your wording made me laugh, quite hard actually.. But from one straight male to another, a flashlight is a GREAT thing to have, but it wont fix your problem, not that one anyways.
Once you start down that tunnel of flashlight addiction you probally wont have enough money left to go to the gym anyways..
You will find a multitude of information here, take your time in your decision, the right help will come along soon enough.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flea Bag said:
I'll try to name a light which came closest to my requirements:

I found the SF U2 to be nice in terms of size and long endurance but I don't think 80 lumens is bright enough to blind someone for long enough right?

Well...right. It will be very difficult to find something so bright...especially 200 lumens...and be small...but be able to be used as an effective impact weapon...and lowpower mode...etc...

If you can choose a couple of the most important aspects (size/brightness/impact weapon), I'd recommend the Surefire E2D...it was designed as a defensive flashlight, but will not be nearly as bright as you may want it to be. You could definitely put the hurt on someone with the crenellated bezel/tailcap with some training and practice.

Good luck...

JM-99

Edit: Yes, the aftermarket (GG&G) bezel attachment would augment your selection of adequate flashlights...http://gggaz.com/products/tid.php (Disclaimer: I don't own anything made by them, but have heard good reports from those that have...)

Last edited:

Flea Bag

Enlightened
cslinger said:
You need a wedding ring not a light. :D

Tough call on a light selection. Lights are not defensive tools technically. They can aid in the use of other defensive tools.

I would think something like a Surefire L5 would give you something akin to what you want.
Bright enough to momentarily startle blind.
Strong enough for flash and bash.
LED is strong like bull.
Should run about an hour at full bore with dimishing light thereafter for a hour or two.

Seriously if you are worried about your safety your best bet is to avoid the area. I don't mean safety from "Gay People" as much as people who may be giving you the look as in to do you harm. If they are just giving you the why don't you come up and see me look, who cares. Politely decline if they ask you out, have a chuckle and go on with your business.

Chris

Well gays aren't the full worry and even then, they're unavoidable as I go to the gym and the place is packed with them. The other thing is that I'm living in a rather secluded area. Just assume that I can't change my situation because I really can't!

The worst I've encountered was when a man snuggled up to me in a train and this was with at least five people watching. I was dressed in fully military combat clothing and sitting with my mate but that didn't stop the man. Almost wanted to give the man a punch but held back because I would have been charged if I did!

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
If LED is not mandatory...I think the Surefire 9AN fill some of your requirements :)

Ha III construction
130 lumens on High
15 lumens on low
rechargeable
smaller than M6

It's a great flashlight !!

Second to the right (9AN) third one (9N) :)

Surefire_1.sized.jpg

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys...

Guess such a light doesn't exist yet...

Will probably be looking at the U2, TigerLight, M6, C2, Z2 and G2Z.

Can modification be made to the U2 or other lithium powered-lights to allow for a 200 lumen bulb?

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Frenchyled said:
If LED is not mandatory...I think the Surefire 9AN fill some of your requirements :)

Ha III construction
130 lumens on High
15 lumens on low
rechargeable
smaller than M6

It's a great flashlight !!

Second to the right (9AN) third one (9N) :)

Surefire_1.sized.jpg

Thanks! I'll add the 9AN and 9N to my interest list!

Geogecko

Enlightened
I have to admit, I had to read it 3 times before I really understood that you meant gay, instead of guy. LOL.

Anyway.

If the Surefire U2 is not bright enough for you (believe me, I wouldn't look straight into that light, even on the second brightest setting), then almost no LED light will work for you. One light that seems to be popular around here is the Night-Ops Gladius. It has a strobe setting which is specifically used for disorienting your target. It's about 6.25" long, and I think 1.25" in diameter. Not too bad of size. I have no idea how much this light runs, either.

For a smaller light, around 3", the new HDS EDC 85 is out now, and that should be pretty bright.

For incand., a 9P would be a good choice, but only has one setting, AFAIK. You can use two different bulbs, but it requires changing it out. Personally, if you plan on hitting people with your light, LED is the way to go, if you want it to work afterward.

I also have a McLuxIII-PD, and I don't even look at that light directly, while on high, and it's just a Luxeon III.

Also, most of these lights (all the ones I've mentioned) run off of CR123A cells, so that's something else you need to consider. While VERY expensive in stores (around $10 a pair), they can be found online for around $1 to about $1.25 (Surefire or Battery Station brands).

Flea Bag

Enlightened
AJ_Dual said:
I would just go with a stock U2. If the Luxeon LED is one of the more bluish tints, the light direct to the eyes seems to bother people much more than full spectrum incan, even if it's much brighter than the LED.

That, and maybe you can just get a t-shirt printed up that says "BREEDER" and the unwanted attention will go away.

http://www.cafepress.com/shop/t-shirts3/browse/store/cantstop.30115977

:laughing: Nice touch that 'Breeder' shirt idea!

If what you said is true about an 80 lumen LED being more blinding than a similarly powered incandescent bulb then yes, perhaps the U2 will be the ideal choice. I'll have to reshuffle my list then...

I've took a visit to each of the websites featuring lights suggested by Geogecko and they all seem like good choices.

Guess I'll be around this forum for some time to come and I don't think I'll be buying just one light... I do want a few more just for the fun of it you know? :)

AESOP

Newly Enlightened
One quick point on the U2, I noticed lately several people comment that SF is once again listing the rating as 2 - 100 lumens. I can in fact confirm that my new U2 is rated as that.

Michael

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well when you do find your light don't keep it in your pants pocket. Or you will hear, "Is that a flashlight in your pants or are you just happy to see me!"

BTW Lighten Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.