Upgrading Dorcy Luxeon 3D plastic lens

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
I recently bought the Dorcy Luxeon 3D while visiting relatives up in the twin cities area of minnesota. Hopefully this one will perform as well as the one reviewed on flashlightreviews.com. I got it at the target:greatland in woodbury for a mere $21.99 which is more than half off the listed price of the review version. Can someone do a review of the new version? This new one has the hexagonal rubber anti-roll ring around the bezel, rubber grip sleeve around the body, and is real dark green powdercoated anodized finish (I saw it mentioned elswhere in the forums but don't remember which...).

I have to say, the light has a very slight bluish tint as compared to the SL PP 4AA luxeon, and throws quite far.

Anyway, back the the question, is it possible to upgrade the plastic scratch prone lens to a better UCL lens from flashlightlens.com? Would lens size be comparible to a M*glite 3d/3c?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
VF1Jskull1,

A M*g lens is .1 mm larger.

The lens size the Dorcy 1 Watt 3 D is 52 mm.

The lens size of a M*glite 3 D is 52.1 mm.

If you were to carefully able to grind down a UCL 52.1 mm lens, .1 it should fit.

I was able to take out the Dorcy lens and reflector by using a long needle nose plier. Using the tips of the needle nose, put them in the slots 90 degrees apart and unscrew.

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
ernsanada said:
VF1Jskull1,

A M*g lens is .1 mm larger.

The lens size the Dorcy 1 Watt 3 D is 52 mm.

The lens size of a M*glite 3 D is 52.1 mm.

If you were to carefully able to grind down a UCL 52.1 mm lens, .1 it should fit.

I was able to take out the Dorcy lens and reflector by using a long needle nose plier. Using the tips of the needle nose, put them in the slots 90 degrees apart and unscrew.

Gosh darn it... just 5 hundredths of a mm (.05 mm all around achieves the 0.1 mm material removal needed) to fit eh....

As for removing the reflector to get to the lens, I kinda figure a needlenose plier was the best way to go.

I guess I'll have to live with the plastics lens for now.

Thanks for the replies.

bcwang

Enlightened
VF1Jskull1, since you have both the new dorcy 3d luxeon and the propolymer luxeon 4aa, which one is brighter overall, and which one throws farther?

Thanks!

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
bcwang said:
VF1Jskull1, since you have both the new dorcy 3d luxeon and the propolymer luxeon 4aa, which one is brighter overall, and which one throws farther?

Thanks!

tough question....

I actually haven't really done any real scientific comparisons between them yet, but according to my eyes (ymmv) when I lit up my room with both, the dorcy luxeon 3d seems to have the whiter/brighter and more concentrated spot with good side spill/corona.... I'll have to get back to you on the throw comparison (you can check out flashlightreviews.com for throw numbers of both, although the dorcy 3d lux on the site is the old version where as i currently have the new one). But like what was said already, the size of the SL propoly has the dorcy beat in terms of size and convenience for pants pocket carry.

I've also got the my sl propoly fitted with a little swivel clip for more attachment options.