My post office got burgled, almost lost my Gladius!

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
Scary story people.

My girlfriend bought me a Gladius as a birthday/anniversary/christmas present (man I love this girl :p ). No, this is not the scary part.

I went to the post office to pick it up yesterday, and when the lady came back with the Gladius case, it was not in any packaging. I asked her what had happened and she told me that some people had broken in to the post office the night before and tore open all the packages looking for money. The police had to take all the envelopes away to be fingerprinted. They had also dusted the case of my Gladius for fingerprints, so there was a thin layer of white dust on it.

I couldn't believe how close my girlfriend came to losing the money she spent on it, and I to losing my Gladius!! The lady asked me if it was ok that I didn't have my envelope, and I told her I was happy just to have my Gladius!!

:)

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
It happened at the post office on St. Kilda Road, about 1 block from Commercial road.

The crime rate here is a little scary actually. I have a friend who lives across the street for me, and he woke up one day and there was a man in his room! When the man realized my friend had woken up, he ran out, and my friend tried to chase him and call the police but it was too late.

I've also been burgled early last year. Whoever it was came into my room (I was staying in Carlton at the time), and took my wallet, digital camera, and watch.

The place I'm at now is good though, good security.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, that's scary dude. I am glad you didn't loose your Gladius. I would beat the crap out of the burglar who rob my gladius. I would do to him what the Iraqi would inflict upon Saddam.

:xyxgun: :xyxgun: :whoopin: :whoopin:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, that's pretty full on. We've been burgled a couple of times but not recently. I guess it just goes to show how security conscious one has to be.

TorchMan

Enlightened
So what color did the ignorant thieves leave behind? I'm guessing you are happy they obviously don't read CPF or otherwise know what the were leaving? :grin2:

goldenlight

Enlightened
I don't know about Australia, but they take burgling a Post Office in the USA pretty seriously. it's a Federal crime, of course (meaning national government, not local) and the penalties are really stiff. I don't know exactly, but I'd guess a minimum sentance in a high security (read: really bad) Federal Prison of at least 10 years.

Glad you kept your Gladius; and even better you weren't hurt when you were burgled. In the USA, most burglaries are done by drug addicts, who are strung out and VERY prone to violence.

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the support guys.

Yes I am really glad that they didn't know the value of the Gladius, but I also think that they didn't want to take anything that they had to sell, because it might lead the police to them. The lady told me that they were just looking for money.

And I'm not sure what the punishment is for this kind of thing here in Australia, but I'm pretty sure that they'll be locked up for awhile too. Hope they get caught. I'm going to ask the staff there next time I go down.