The NEW KL3 - are these out?

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if these have been seen anywhere here in the US...

Here's a pic:

sf_kl3.jpg
sf_kl3bk.jpg

Last edited:

WDR65

Enlightened
Beretta1526,
Yes, they're out. Surefire might even be shipping them themselves now, but the last I heard it was kinda a 50/50 thing if you would get old stock. I mounted mine on a C3 and its been there for well over a month and I haven't changed the batteries yet. I have the hard anodized version by the way, the place I ordered from had the black ones on backorder.

Dudley

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire hasn't updated their pics on the site, but according to them, they are already selling this version. I have one myself, it's a thrower with a very tight spot and runs reeeeaallly long, like 3hrs40mins at 97% brightness. They are referred to as the KL3 gen 2, so you might want to specify that if ordering.

Check out flashlightreviews for the full review. It's a great light, but a bit too tight for close use. Use with a beamshaper or just use it for medium range spotting. It's also quite long compared to a stock bezel, and will make your light around 3/4s of an inch longer.

Last edited:

XenonM3

Enlightened
Hi Beretta1526,

I currently own the KL3 gen 2 in Black and its my favorite SF LED so far.
There are two places that I know of sell them, and have both colors in stock.
Calvin @ [email protected]
and Supremeco

I ordered mine from Calvin and had it forwarded by Keith from CPF. :)

Good luck

WDR65

Enlightened
I also ordered mine from Calvin, very quick shipping and good service. I really do like the KL3, it throws a bit farther than my KL1 gen4 and is useful for all the way out to about 100 yds at least for making out some things. I've probably used mine for about four hours or more total so far and I haven't noticed any drop in output. I don't think I'll quit using my long throwing incandescents yet, but I was quite impressed with how far this thing will shine.

XenonM3

Enlightened
The lens on the Gen 2 KL3 looks really cool, I love the looks of the optics on it and in my opinion it looks the best out of the all the surefire optics.

Currently I am looking for a Gen 1 E2D with a domed optics looking lens. :)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cornkid bought his a while ago from a store... he special orderd his.

-David

Eagle1

Newly Enlightened
The guys that have the "gen 2", how does it compare to the gen 1 that I have now. I am going to get a gen 2 for my 9P. Also, what is retail price on the gen2? Thanks...

XenonM3

Enlightened
The guys that have the "gen 2", how does it compare to the gen 1 that I have now.

I don't have a Gen 1 but I know the Gen 2 blows it away in throw and overall brightness, because it has an nicer optic and not to mention a LUX III.

what is retail price on the gen2?

It usually sells for $55-$60US dollars

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one of these from SF direct last time I ordered some batteries and a diffuser.

I called them and asked about which units they were shipping (OLD vs NEW) They said new and I placed the order. I got the batteries and the diffuser but no KL-3. I sent an e-mail and they said my NEW KL-3 will be shipped this week.

I built a light from old bits of surefire flashlights hat I have accumulated over the years. Nothing matches old body old KL-3 newish switch. That First gen KL-3 may not have much of a beam tint. Mine is quite purple. But when it comes to design the over sized heat sink look makes it one of the coolest looking flashlights I have. The new KL-3 style is very vanilla plain wrapper looking to me, It doesn't have nearly the cool looking style the old one has.
I was never happy with the tint of the KL-3 I bought it direct from SF and should have returned it. I am sure there is no comparson between the old and ne KL-3 beams. But style wise the old version is the clear winner. IMHO.

I think that the OLD KL-3 heads will in the years ahead prove to be a rare and valuable component of any flashlight collection which includes surefire lights.
Yaesumofo

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't they put a LuxIII in some of the old style heads? I'd possibly like to get a black one for my D2. The new KL3 (pending beam pattern) would be something to put on a C2/M2/L5 body, although the black HA3 is quite tempting.

Eagle1

Newly Enlightened
Well, thanks to you guys, I just bought one of these new KL3, gen 2's! I got it from Calvin @ Brightflashlites, and he is awesome btw! Now, I cannot wait to get it and use it and compare it to my KL3 gen 1.. We will se just how they differ..