Battery testers

Tom_Dunn

Newly Enlightened
I would like advice/recommendations on buying a battery tester. Nothing too elaborate, just something for AAA thru D cells.
I have a digital multimeter, but, as I understand it, it is not recommended for battery testing since it does not put a load on the battery.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Actually for a lot of batteries a DMM works fine if you know the voltage range of the cells you are using. For most alkalines and rechargables the voltage is a good indicator of charge left. I test batteries with a DMM most of the time and alkalines tend to be pretty far gone below about 1v with nimh nearly discharged around 1.1v or less.

A load does help if you are using it in a high current drain light as they tend to sag a battery harder.

N162E

Enlightened
Tom_Dunn said:
I would like advice/recommendations on buying a battery tester. Nothing too elaborate, just something for AAA thru D cells.
I have a digital multimeter, but, as I understand it, it is not recommended for battery testing since it does not put a load on the battery.

Go here http://www.ztsinc.com/products.html and buy!! In my three years as a reader of this forum this tester is the BEST item I have found.